Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2013-12-05 18:29:54

Registered: 2013-12-05
Posts: 3

Compatibility Between Xfce And Asus N750JV-T4069H Notebook

Sincerely speaking, I have really fall in love at first sight with Xfce few months ago.
After many experiments and clean installations of other Linux distributions during past days, conclusion is no chance to switch to something other than a perfect combination Xfce-Xubuntu.
Great simplicity, wide customization possibilities, beautiful design, speed... In other words, an operating system in which functioning logic has been successfully turned into logical functions smile

Unfortunately, I'm experiencing unexpected technical difficulties by replacing pre-installed Windows with Xubuntu 13.10 on my brand new Asus N750JV-T4069H notebook (Intel® Core™ i7-4700HQ; Bit 64; Nvidia GeForce GT750M). Joined this forum in hope of getting help and advices for effective problem solving (not only my case), I'm reporting following (believe) bugs and proposing potential way for getting rid of them.

I have tried to install Ubuntu 13.10 - for me it was impossible in UEFI mode.
Clean installation of Ubuntu solved 99% of my problems. The remaining 1% (keyboard Fn keys: F5 decreases display brightness and F6 increases display brightness) are almost surely related to impossibility to install NVIDIA drivers. As UEFI and NVIDIA are a problem that fortunately doesn't exist inside Xubuntu 13.10, in my humble opinion it's enough to somehow copy the complete solution from Ubuntu smile

I have also tried to remove completely Unity from Ubuntu and replace it with something else. Everything remains ok.

Ubuntu 13.10
With Cinnamon, Unity completely removed

pastebinit /var/log/dmesg


I have found the source of my problems once I've installed Xfce on Ubuntu via software center. Situation has become the same as specified below:

Xubuntu 13.10
Clean installation with all updates

pastebinit /var/log/dmesg


Xubuntu 13.10
Current my choice settings +
Video Driver: NVIDIA binary Xorg driver/kernel module and VDPAU library nvidia 331 (open source)

pastebinit /var/log/dmesg


- Sound indicator icon malfunction
  (solved with Exec=/usr/lib/indicator-sound-gtk2/indicator-sound-service)
- Power Adapter shows not connected
- No keyboard backlightng
- FN (F3) Decreases keyboard backlighting
- FN (F4) Increases keyboard backlighting
  (I can turn on keyboard backlight with
  sudo chmod 777 /sys/class/leds/asus::kbd_backlight/brightness
  echo 3 > /sys/class/leds/asus::kbd_backlight/brightness
  but effect is lost after turning the computer off and on again).
- FN (F9) Enables or disables the touchpad
- FN (F5) Decreases display brightness
- FN (F6) Increases display brightness
- FN (F2) Turns Airplane mode on or off
- FN (F1) Notebook returns from sleep mode with broken screen and strange vertical colour lines

- Battery shows 100%
- FN (F7) Turns the display panel off
- FN (F8) Activates the second screen
- FN (F10) Turns the speaker on or off
- FN (F11) Turns the speaker volume down
- FN (F12) Turns the speaker volume up

Last edited by aljosa (2013-12-05 18:31:14)


#2 2013-12-09 10:04:41

Registered: 2013-12-05
Posts: 3

Re: Compatibility Between Xfce And Asus N750JV-T4069H Notebook

Not sure if something's wrong or something's missing, but definitely it's Xfce related (same technical troubles with LXDE).
If I remove Xfce from Xubuntu and install GNOME Shell or Cinnamon, everything ok except F5 and F6 buttons. If instead of Xfce I install KDE-Plasma into Xubuntu, there's an option in keyboard settings to assign to F5 and F6 functions for display brightness adjustment - in that way my machine becomes 100% ok.

I'm not accepting Windows any more because of spying and similar things, but in almost 20 years never had a problem with using it.
Problem is that I cannot (and don't want) adapt myself to mentioned Linux desktop environments. What's the point of using computer if it makes my life harder instead of easier?

Thanks in advance for any idea how to repair Xfce malfunction...


Last edited by aljosa (2013-12-09 10:37:13)


Board footer

Powered by FluxBB