Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2014-02-24 21:54:30

yoritomo

Idea for XFCE's toolbar for a better cosyness

Hello

I would like to share a possible  idea for a next generation feature.

Since some years we are using yet the very useful XFCE's toolbar it is a very nice feature, but it may be a bit tricky any direction we set it is endlessly opening even when don't need it, just by sliding a scrollbar or reaching extremes areas of an edition window ...

I was thinking about two possible options which would make it more friendly, of course it should be optional by a case to check in the toolbar properties.

-  first : a double RIGHT click anywhere on desktop would open the bar for about 3 seconds which would keep opened if the mouse pointer hovers it.

- second possibility : a small button on the border, a click opens the bar for the same 3 seconds which would keep opened if the mouse pointer hovers it.

What do you think about it ? Perhaps I am the only one experiencing the annoyance of constant opening bar, but what more frustrating than the web explorer or mail software launching by a fake click ....

#2 2014-02-24 23:49:31

ToZ
Administrator

Re: Idea for XFCE's toolbar for a better cosyness

Those are good suggestions, feel free to post these feature requests at https://bugzilla.xfce.org/.

In the meantime, you might be able to alleviate the annoyance you are experiencing by changing the popup delay timer, the amount of time required to hover your mouse near the hidden panel before it pops up, by adding the following to ~/.gtkrc-2.0 (create the file if it doesn't exist):

style "xfce-panel-window-style"
{
  # Time in miliseconds before the panel will unhide on an enter event
  XfcePanelWindow::popup-delay = 225

# Time in miliseconds before the panel will hide on a leave event
  XfcePanelWindow::popdown-delay = 350

# Size of autohide window in pixels
  XfcePanelWindow::autohide-size = 3
}
class "XfcePanelWindow" style "xfce-panel-window-style"

...adjust the popup delay value as required (1000ms = 1 second). Source. This will delay the amount of time it will take for the panel to appear and hopefully not interfere with your normal usage.

Last edited by ToZ (2014-02-24 23:52:10)

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

#3 2014-02-25 17:19:04

yoritomo

Hello

Thank you for the information i will try it immediately, and how should i post it on bugzilla? clicking on report a bug ?

#4 2014-02-25 21:18:13

ToZ
Administrator

Yes, report as a bug but start the summary off as "[Feature Request] ....."

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

#5 2014-02-26 10:59:47

yoritomo

Hello

Ok i will do that,  i tryed your solution, it is working perfectly for me modifying popup-delay value to 1000.

thanks a lot

Board footer