Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2014-03-09 17:08:51

dollyp

[Solved] Thunar not showing in main menu

I have been trying to make the Thunar entry show under the system category in the main menu. The entry is ticked in the edit menu dialog but does not show when the main menu is opened. (Several other options are also ticked but don't show in the main menu.) How do I get the entry for Thunar to show in the main menu?

I also tried to add a separate entry for Thunar as root (gksu thunar) in the system category but it was moved to the 'other' category. Why is this?

Finally, is there a list somewhere of the switches available when starting Thunar?

David

Linux Mint 17 Xfce
Lenovo IdeaPad U410

#2 2014-03-09 19:55:50

ToZ
Administrator

Re: [Solved] Thunar not showing in main menu

I've never had any luck with the menu editor. Its quite buggy. The manual method is what I use. To make the two thunar entries show up in your menu, create the following files with the shown content:

~/.local/share/applications/Thunar.desktop

[Desktop Entry]
Name=Thunar File Manager
Comment=Browse the filesystem with the file manager
GenericName=File Manager
Exec=thunar %F
Icon=Thunar
Terminal=false
StartupNotify=true
Type=Application
Categories=System;Utility;Core;GTK;FileTools;FileManager;

~/.local/share/applications/Thunar-gksu.desktop

[Desktop Entry]
Name=Thunar File Manager (root)
Comment=Browse the filesystem with the file manager with root privileges
GenericName=File Manager (root)
Exec=gksu thunar %F
Icon=Thunar
Terminal=false
StartupNotify=true
Type=Application
Categories=System;Utility;Core;GTK;FileTools;FileManager;

As for thunar switches, there aren't many, but you can view them by running the following commands in a terminal window:

thunar --help

...or:

man thunar

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

#3 2014-03-10 15:07:59

dollyp

Thanks for your response. I added the two files you suggested and that did solve the problem of Thunar not appearing in the menu. As for the problem with Thunar not showing files in a detailed list the last reboot seems to have solved this; not at all sure why it wasn't solved the previous times I'd rebooted.

I looked at Thunar's various switches but couldn't find anything to help me. The switch %F, which Thunar interprets as 'open the user's home directory' is used in the menu settings and I was hoping there would be others that would enable me to have a menu entry for 'Thunar as root' but with hidden files showing and opened with / as the directory showing, i.e. where you probably want to be when you need to open Thunar as root.

David

Linux Mint 17 Xfce
Lenovo IdeaPad U410

#4 2014-03-10 15:46:38

ToZ
Administrator

dollyp wrote:

I looked at Thunar's various switches but couldn't find anything to help me. The switch %F, which Thunar interprets as 'open the user's home directory' is used in the menu settings and I was hoping there would be others that would enable me to have a menu entry for 'Thunar as root' but with hidden files showing and opened with / as the directory showing, i.e. where you probably want to be when you need to open Thunar as root.

I didn't even notice the %F - if you try to run the command from a terminal window you get an error, therefore it must have something to do with the menu entry itself. To that end, I searched for the desktop entry spec and it lists the parameters that can be sent from within a menu definition file. They include:

Code	Description
%f	A single file name, even if multiple files are selected. The system reading the desktop entry should recognize that the program in question cannot handle multiple file arguments, and it should should probably spawn and execute multiple copies of a program for each selected file if the program is not able to handle additional file arguments. If files are not on the local file system (i.e. are on HTTP or FTP locations), the files will be copied to the local file system and %f will be expanded to point at the temporary file. Used for programs that do not understand the URL syntax.
%F	A list of files. Use for apps that can open several local files at once. Each file is passed as a separate argument to the executable program.
%u	A single URL. Local files may either be passed as file: URLs or as file path.
%U	A list of URLs. Each URL is passed as a separate argument to the executable program. Local files may either be passed as file: URLs or as file path.
%d	Deprecated.
%D	Deprecated.
%n	Deprecated.
%N	Deprecated.
%i	The Icon key of the desktop entry expanded as two arguments, first --icon and then the value of the Icon key. Should not expand to any arguments if the Icon key is empty or missing.
%c	The translated name of the application as listed in the appropriate Name key in the desktop entry.
%k	The location of the desktop file as either a URI (if for example gotten from the vfolder system) or a local filename or empty if no location is known.
%v	Deprecated.
%m	Deprecated. 

If you want to open root thunar at the root directory, just pass it the directory as a parameter. Change the Exec line to read:

Exec=gksu thunar /

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

#5 2014-03-10 16:36:21

dollyp

Many thanks.

Linux Mint 17 Xfce
Lenovo IdeaPad U410

Board footer