Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2015-03-14 17:52:34

dtd

[Solved] how to turn off tiling snap

I never liked this but in 4.10 the snap did not occur when dragging a window to another desktop. Now it does. A most irritating visual IMO. There was a post suggesting the option was in the Accessibility setting. I did not find anything that seems related. I have also searched the settings editor. A source patch would be fine with me. Thanks for any ideas.

#2 2015-03-14 18:30:46

ToZ
Administrator

Re: [Solved] how to turn off tiling snap

You can turn off windows tiling via Settings Manager >> Window Manager Tweaks >> Accessibility tab >> "Automatically tile windows....."

And/or:

You can turn off workspace wrapping via  Settings Manager >> Window Manager Tweaks >> Workspaces tab >> "Wrap workspaces....." (two options).

However, are wanting to just eliminate the "tile before wrap" effect that happens when you have both sets of options enabled?

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

#3 2015-03-14 21:13:05

Mellowbob

Hope I'm not hijacking this thread ...

But, with the new 4.12 I find that I need to move windows to the lower left side of the screen for them to go vertical-max, horizonontal-halfscreen. If I move it in the upper half of the left/right side I get a window which takes up 1/4 of the screen. Not sure if this is new or not. Also, pushing a window to the top of the screen now gives me a full-size window, not one which is full-horz/half-vert like it did in 4.10 ... and moving to the bottom of the screen does nothing at all.

Are these are setable somewhere?

#4 2015-03-14 23:54:03

ToZ
Administrator

Mellowbob wrote:

Hope I'm not hijacking this thread ...

But, with the new 4.12 I find that I need to move windows to the lower left side of the screen for them to go vertical-max, horizonontal-halfscreen. If I move it in the upper half of the left/right side I get a window which takes up 1/4 of the screen. Not sure if this is new or not. Also, pushing a window to the top of the screen now gives me a full-size window, not one which is full-horz/half-vert like it did in 4.10 ... and moving to the bottom of the screen does nothing at all.

Are these are setable somewhere?

The corner tiling is new as of earlier this year. I believe at some point the default move to top of screen was changed to fullscreen as well. The way that it seems to work is:
- TopLeft, BottomLeft, TopRight, BottomRight = 1/4 screen
- Left,Right = 1/2 screen
- Top = full screen
- Bottom = 1/2 screen (I can't seem to get the mouse to trigger the bottom tile, but you can specify a keyboard shortcut (Window Manager >> Keyboard) and use that shortcut to make it tile down.

The only way I can find to make it 1/2 tile to the top and the bottom is to use keyboard shortcuts.

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find

#5 2015-03-15 02:01:05

Mellowbob

Yes, the keyboard works fine here as well. IMHO, the full screen option is not that useful. And, I suppose that having 1/4 size is something which might be useful.

I tend to use full left and right fairly often. Mostly when viewing 2 lists of <whatever>.

Not sure I'd agree with the decision to make full left/right a drag option and not to apply that to full top/bottom. But, I'm sure there is a reason smile

Just would be nice to set up my own options.

Thanks for pointing out the keyboard ... didn't know about those.

I notice that for some windows (xfce setting manager for one) the tiling doesn't work at all. Any idea why?

#6 2015-03-15 09:58:55

ToZ
Administrator

Mellowbob wrote:

I notice that for some windows (xfce setting manager for one) the tiling doesn't work at all. Any idea why?

I'm not 100% sure, but the settings manager window is a dialog type window (as opposed to a normal window). Perhaps the tiling only works with normal windows.

EDIT: See https://bugzilla.xfce.org/show_bug.cgi?id=8763

Last edited by ToZ (2015-03-15 10:05:18)

#7 2015-03-15 16:43:38

Mellowbob

ToZ wrote:

I'm not 100% sure, but the settings manager window is a dialog type window (as opposed to a normal window). Perhaps the tiling only works with normal windows.

EDIT: See https://bugzilla.xfce.org/show_bug.cgi?id=8763

Yes, I figured something like that. I think I agree more with the original bug-poster than the rationale. But, it's not a big deal.

Board footer