Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2015-06-17 09:39:03

apurkrt

Can browse smb:// and mtp:// , but drag and drop fails

The drag and drop from smb:// and mtp:// is not working for me [simple opening of the files works]. Is there a way fo fix this?

E.g. drag and drop from "smb://machine/folder/text.txt" to mousepad - nothing happens after drag and drop (dblclick opening works okay). The same happens when working with attached Android phone - e.g. drag and drop from "mtp://[usb:003,005]/Internal%20storage/DCIM/Camera/IMG_20150520_100720.jpg" to gimp - "Opening mtp://... failed, no such file or directory". Drag and drop "mtp://..../some/file.txt" to mousepad - nothing happens.

When first just browsing "smb://" or "mtp://" (click Android) for mount to occur under ~/.gvfs/, and then working with files in ~/.gvfs/, drag and drop works fine.

But having to navigate ~/.gvfs/mtp is quite inconvenient.

TBH, this whole "smb://" and "mtp://" "protocol location of a file" (introduced by gvfs if I get it right) - why to introduce it anyway? Feels like reinventing/obfuscating "mount" command, complicating a whole lot of things. E.g. in Evince - the drag and drop works, since it somehow has the support for this "mtp://, smb://" notation. Thought FUSE was intended for this kind of things.

Anyhow: is there some way to fix this, i.e. to make Thunar handle drag and drop as if it occured from relevant ~/.gvfs/... location when working with "smb://, mtp://" location?

#2 2015-06-17 11:18:26

hjudt

Re: Can browse smb:// and mtp:// , but drag and drop fails

renergy wrote:

The drag and drop from smb:// and mtp:// is not working for me [simple opening of the files works]. Is there a way fo fix this?

E.g. drag and drop from "smb://machine/folder/text.txt" to mousepad - nothing happens after drag and drop (dblclick opening works okay). The same happens when working with attached Android phone - e.g. drag and drop from "mtp://[usb:003,005]/Internal%20storage/DCIM/Camera/IMG_20150520_100720.jpg" to gimp - "Opening mtp://... failed, no such file or directory". Drag and drop "mtp://..../some/file.txt" to mousepad - nothing happens.
But having to navigate ~/.gvfs/mtp is quite inconvenient.

Probably this is not implemented for drag & drop to other applications, while opening using gvfs-fuse is. So thunar will provide the URI, not the local gvfs-fuse filename. Some applications have support for opening URIs (mostly gnome), some do not.

renergy wrote:

TBH, this whole "smb://" and "mtp://" "protocol location of a file" (introduced by gvfs if I get it right) - why to introduce it anyway? Feels like reinventing/obfuscating "mount" command, complicating a whole lot of things. E.g. in Evince - the drag and drop works, since it somehow has the support for this "mtp://, smb://" notation. Thought FUSE was intended for this kind of things.

It is quite standard with gnome, nautilus uses it too. thunar had its own implementation (thunar-vfs) but dropped it in favour of gvfs - no need to reimplement the wheel.

renergy wrote:

Anyhow: is there some way to fix this, i.e. to make Thunar handle drag and drop as if it occured from relevant ~/.gvfs/... location when working with "smb://, mtp://" location?

If someone provides a patch for this, it can be applied.

Board footer