Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2015-08-20 22:50:05

marco-xfce

Deleted the std. Vol controller from top menu bar!

I am still involved in a major investigation to discover why I can receive no sound through my laptop speaker.

During this intensive program of testing, I somehow managed to delete the volume control.
I wouldn't mind so much but it offered direct access to the std. sound setup panel.

If I had sound, I could adjust it using Pulseaudio panel.
However, I'd like to reinstate the volume onto the top menu, if at all possible.

I tried adding, but the control doesn't exist in the add options.

Does anybody know how I can bring it back into play?

smile

#2 2015-08-20 23:10:56

Jerry3904

Re: Deleted the std. Vol controller from top menu bar!

Kind of depends on what you were using I guess. I use volumeicon-alsa that goes in the Notification Area, and it's in the (Debian) repos.

You can also right-click the panel > Panel > Add new items, and insert a Laucher; then right-click the Launcher > Properties, and click on the Plus icon. Select PulseAudio or another from the list.

MX-23 (based on Debian Stable) with our flagship Xfce 4.18.

#3 2015-08-23 01:17:57

marco-xfce

Re: Deleted the std. Vol controller from top menu bar!

Thanks Jerry.

Volumeicon-alsa does not work on 12.04.
I noted a comment left on USC stating this, but I downloaded it anyway.
Tried the command in terminal....... command not found.

Strangely I found no references at all to the Standard volume control.
Perhaps because it is part of the basic desktop.

Anyway, installed QasMixer, and Kmix.

Both these appear on the top panel bar, so while slightly complex..... thats fine.

After installing I was quite hopeful that they might help provide sound through my laptop speaker...... but no.

I've come to the conclusion after a huge amount of testing...... that I just have to accept that the speaker works at the login screen, and fails when ubuntu, or XFCE loads.

My own logic, is that if it works at the login screen..... we should be able to adjust the 'desktop sound config' back to the 'login setup'.

However, none of the people involved in helping me, were able to suggest how this might be achieved.
Terrible to say, but I think I've got to give up on it.

sad

Board footer