Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2015-09-14 18:16:47

wdfgea

Activate Two Finger Scrolling

Hey there,

i am using xubuntu for the first time. everything works out and if not i found a workaround. but what did not work out so far was the two finger scrolling on my touchpad. surprisingly, the touchpad is not recognised as a touchpad but tapping works and also its mouse function. but not two finger scrolling. it has been recognized as a "PS/2 logitech wheel mouse". indeed, it is not a "PS/2 logitech wheel mouse". xfce seems to detect the wrong hardware.

i tried to edit the synaptics-50.conf file to force two finger scrolling. but i was not allowed to save a file with my personal changes in that directory. i checked mouse settings but there is no tab "touchpad". in fact, this is not surprising.

my questions:

- can i force xfce to detect the right hardware?
- can i make it work without a detection of the right hardware?

thanks

#2 2015-09-14 19:17:25

ToZ
Administrator

Re: Activate Two Finger Scrolling

Hello and welcome.

xfce seems to detect the wrong hardware.

Xfce doesn't do any sort of mouse/trackpad detection, that is done by Xorg. Xfce will use whatever devices are recognized.

What does the following commands return:

dmesg | grep -i touchpad
xinput list
xfconf-query -c pointers -lv

Also, what is the make and model of your computing device?

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

#3 2015-09-14 20:36:53

MountainDewManiac

Re: Activate Two Finger Scrolling

wdfgea wrote:

i tried to edit the synaptics-50.conf file to force two finger scrolling. but i was not allowed to save a file with my personal changes in that directory.

Try:

gksu gedit synaptics-50.conf

after you've opened a terminal in the correct directory. If using a text editor other than gedit, you'd have to adjust the command accordingly, of course. And remember not to screw something up when you're operating with administrator privileges, lol.

Regards,
MDM

Mountain Dew Maniac

How to Ask for Help <=== Click on this link

Board footer