Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2015-10-17 12:46:18

pcdoctor01

Cannot copy portion of a webpage using Google Chrome or Firefox

I cannot copy a portion of an entire webpage using Google Chrome or Firefox when copying downwards.
Upwards works.

This happens with:
Debian 8 Jessie XFCe with 4.10 using Iceweasel/Firefox or Google Chrome
Xubuntu 14.04 with XFCE 4.10 and 4.12 using Firefox or Google Chrome
Xubuntu 12.04 live cd using Firefox

This doesn't happen with:
Debian 8 Jessie KDE using Firefox or Google Chrome
Kubuntu 15.04 live dvd using Firefox
LibreOffice Writer
LibreOffice Calc
Mousepad

Has anyone else seen this?
Someone else reported this on the Ubuntu forums.
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2283696

Ex. Go to google.com and paste this in the search area:

can highlight by going upwards but not downwards xfce

My mouse can highlight the first line starting with the word "ssh" and the last line ending with the word "everything ..."
My mouse cursor cannot go past the last line
"expressions can match many items, but evidently not everything ..."

If I scroll upward, I can copy the entire webpage.

KDE 4.x doesn't have this issue.
Windows 7 doesn't have this issue.
Using Win7 on a laptop with Firefox 41.0.2 and I'm able to scroll downwards without any issues using the same mouse that was connected to the machine with Xubuntu 14.04.

Last edited by pcdoctor01 (2015-10-18 12:56:37)

#2 2015-10-18 02:32:44

MountainDewManiac

Re: Cannot copy portion of a webpage using Google Chrome or Firefox

Have you tried pressing CTRL-a (you might need to left-click somewhere on the web page first) for "select all," then pressing CTRL-c (for "copy")?

Regards,
MDM

Mountain Dew Maniac

How to Ask for Help <=== Click on this link

#3 2015-10-18 10:43:59

pcdoctor01

Maybe I shouldn't say entire webpage but actually just a section by dragging with the mouse.  (Basically if I want to highlight a certain area without doing ctrl A, I can't)  I wish I could post a video.  Sometimes I come across fixes for linux issues on websites.  I copy the information and email it to myself for future reference in case I have to reinstall the OS again.  I can do a ctrl A and ctrl c but then the entire website is copied.  The ads on the side, etc.  Are you able to hold your left mouse button and drag an area all the way down a page to copy it?  I have no problems doing this upwards just downwards.  I'll take a screenshot for an example.  I guess at least I can do this upwards.

If I put my left mouse cursor on the word "I" in my first thread and drag/highlight downwards, my mouse cursor stops at the line "How to Ask for Help <=== Click on this link" and it won't move past that line.  If I do the same thing but backwards, my mouse cursor goes all the way up the page.  If I put my left mouse cursor on the first word in a thread and drag/highlight downwards, my mouse cursor stops line 35 or so on the page.  This only happens on Firefox and Google Chrome.  This doesnt' happen with mousepad, Libre writer or Libre calc.  This issue also happens with Debian 8 XFCE.

Last edited by pcdoctor01 (2015-10-18 11:09:01)

#4 2015-10-18 11:32:38

pcdoctor01

MountainDew,
See if you can duplicate this issue.
If you can, I'm pretty sure this is an XFCE bug.

Try this and please let me know if you are able to duplicate this.

Go go google.com
Put the words in quotes in the search area "can highlight by going upwards but not downwards xfce" and press enter.
Highlight the first weblink on the webpage after the section "About 4,710 results (0.52 seconds)" and press your left mouse button and highlight the words and scroll downwards.
How far do you get when scrolling?
Are you able to scroll all the way down by using your left mouse button and holding it?

Last edited by pcdoctor01 (2015-10-18 11:33:55)

#5 2015-10-18 16:21:40

MountainDewManiac

pcdoctor01 wrote:

If I put my left mouse cursor on the word "I" in my first thread and drag/highlight downwards, my mouse cursor stops

Hey, you're right, lol, mine exhibits the same behavior (this partition is only Xfce 4.10, though). I never noticed that before because I often (usually) use the cursor keys to adjust the amount of highlighted text.

Regards,
MDM

Mountain Dew Maniac

How to Ask for Help <=== Click on this link

#6 2015-10-18 17:08:31

pcdoctor01

MountainDewManiac wrote:
pcdoctor01 wrote:

If I put my left mouse cursor on the word "I" in my first thread and drag/highlight downwards, my mouse cursor stops

Hey, you're right, lol, mine exhibits the same behavior (this partition is only Xfce 4.10, though). I never noticed that before because I often (usually) use the cursor keys to adjust the amount of highlighted text.

Regards,
MDM

Thaaaaank you!
Sheesh.
I'm glad that you have this same issue.
I posted this issue on Debian.net and one guy got mad at me for not being detailed enough.
I'm glad you understood me.
I'll just stick it out and just copy and paste bit by bit or copy upwards.
I really would hate to go back to KDE just for this issue.
My old system is much faster with XFCE.
Thanks so much for responding!

Last edited by pcdoctor01 (2015-10-18 17:09:37)

Board footer