Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2007-01-23 02:54:33

bubazoo

Network Manager in XFCE 4.2

Hey guys,

I have a Compaq Presario V5305WM notebook computer, that has both a wired and wireless NIC's in it.

I am using the yum repro version of XFCE 4.2 I believe it is.  I haven't run the Graphical installer yet

Anyway, what I was wondering is..

How do I get NetworkManager to work in XFCE?

it works in Gnome, and KDE, but I can't get it to work in XFCE for some reason

NetworkManager,  for those who don't know, is an eithernet application that detects your current eithernet state (rather your using wired or wireless) and connects you to a wireless network available to you in your area.

so basically, when I bring up XFCE, I have no internet at all sad   I do in Gnome, but not XFCE

anyone know how to do this?  ...or should I try the Graphical Installer to upgrade to 4.4?

thanks

#2 2007-01-23 07:31:13

Nick
Dev
Website

Re: Network Manager in XFCE 4.2

Xfce has nothing to do with your network, well we don't have anything that does networking in the packages. Duno if you're talking about the gnome panel applet NetworkManager? If so, you can try to upgrade to Xfce 4.4.0 and compile the xfapplet plugin. This plugin allows you to add Gnome plugins to the panel and so you can add the NetworkManager plugin.

If you're not using the Gnome Panel plugin, some kinda daemon (probably) provides your network setup, then you need to figure out which daemon that is and also start it under Xfce.

#3 2007-01-24 00:38:12

bubazoo

Nick wrote:

Xfce has nothing to do with your network, well we don't have anything that does networking in the packages. Duno if you're talking about the gnome panel applet NetworkManager? If so, you can try to upgrade to Xfce 4.4.0 and compile the xfapplet plugin. This plugin allows you to add Gnome plugins to the panel and so you can add the NetworkManager plugin.

I'm talking about nm-applet

actually, I can run nm-applet from a terminal from within XFCE, and get internet that way, but then I would have to keep a terminal open constantly just to run the nm-applet, which isn't real practical

so I was just wondering how else to do it?

and yes, I am talking about the gnome panel applet,  nm-applet its called from a terminal. If I can just figure out how to run nm-applet on XFCE startup that solution would do

thanks

#4 2007-01-24 07:36:39

Nick
Dev
Website

I don't think Xfce 4.2 has something to autostart applications when you start your session (probably some lines in a xinit file will do the job), but in Xfce 4.4 you can use the xfce4-autostart-editor (part of xfce4-session) to launch application at startup.

Nick

#5 2007-01-24 07:46:11

Nick
Dev
Website

Maybe the 'Launch Gnome services on startup' checkbox in the session manager settings will help.

#6 2007-01-24 22:00:20

bubazoo

Nick wrote:

Maybe the 'Launch Gnome services on startup' checkbox in the session manager settings will help.

that loaded the keyring thingy,  but it did not load nm-applet,   cuz I know I thought of that too...

#7 2007-01-24 22:05:14

bubazoo

but anyrate, I could run the graphical installer on Fedora Core 6,

but do I remove the existing version first?

cuz if I did put XFCE 4.4 on here, I wouldn't want XFCE 4.2 that comes with Fedora anymore, so do I yum remove that first?   or does it overwrite?

#8 2007-01-25 07:40:26

Nick
Dev
Website

It better te remove the old Xfce installation and also the components that are not part of Xfce anymore (xffm) and plugins that have merged in the panel (tasklist, windowlist, showdesktop). They won't be replaced by the installer and only cause you problems.

Board footer