Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2007-03-17 03:18:47

jshanab

Root users need good filemanagers and editors too

I know when I am logged in as root. (I don't want or need such a windowism) I still would like to use thunar. (it looks great and loads fast, and multifile rename and regex. Congratulations!)

but.... That darn red warning is irratateing. I need to disable, reduce the intensity or have it fade off but I can't find the configuration for it in thunar or mousepad. I continue my search for the config files but was hoping you can point me to it.

hamal: atlonxp1600 2.6.13-gentoo-r2,gnome single monitor
ghidra: amd64 2.6.13-gentoo-r2, 3 heads, xfce4
jeffnote: 900mhz pIII thinkpad, 2.6.13-gentoo-r2, xfce4

#2 2007-03-17 09:29:56

Nick
Dev
Website

Re: Root users need good filemanagers and editors too

You can't disable it, that will make the warning useless. Anyways it is a gtk style, so you can try playing with that a bit:

gtk_rc_parse_string ("style\"thunar-window-root-style\"{bg[NORMAL]=\"#b4254b\"\nfg[NORMAL]=\"#fefefe\"}\n"
                           "widget\"ThunarWindow.*.root-warning\"style\"thunar-window-root-style\"\n"
                           "widget\"ThunarWindow.*.root-warning.GtkLabel\"style\"thunar-window-root-style\"\n");

And the name of the warning widget is root-warning.

#3 2007-03-17 12:39:50

gen2brain

Or you could just comment lines 719-741 in thunar-window.c and recompile thunar. I mean this should realy be a configure option, I don't have internet at home and i want to use my system as root user... I realy don't  like when someone wants to force me to something... or at least an option to turn this warning off...

greets,
p.s. I realy enjoy in XFCE, keep up the good work

#4 2007-03-17 19:14:33

Nick
Dev
Website

There will be no option to turn those warnings off, no discussion about that. If you're a desktop user you shouldn't be logged in as root... Second  point: we're not forcing you to not be logged in as user, we just advising you it's not smart to do this (and you can't deny we're wrong). A more forcing piece of code would be:

if (geteuid () == 0)
  {
    g_error (_("You are not allowed to run this application as root!"));
    gtk_main_quit ();
  }

So in other words: warning will not me removed since it's useful for 99% of the users and since we encourage security there will be no option to disable it. The only option to remove it will be a patch like this one: thunar-no-root-warning.patch

#5 2007-03-18 05:00:07

jshanab

"There will be no option to turn those warnings off, no discussion about that. If you're a desktop user you shouldn't be logged in as root... "

what happened to "Linux is about choice." ??? (why do you think I use xfce instead of gnome?)

5 or 10 years ago, I might actually have agreed with you, but Things do move forward and to say root administration must be done without a desktop is childish. I am both a root user AND a desktop user and there are administration tools that need a desktop.

Thanks for the line numbers, I will take a few minutes and fix that now.  I actually have more a problem with the wasted line and the high contrast bothering my eyes. :-(

Maybe to classify as a warning it should fade away after 10-20 seconds.

#6 2007-03-18 08:26:27

SimonJ
Website

I think you're wrong.

The whole problem with Windows is Microsoft took the easy option, run as Administrator and don't worry about the consequences, well, look how well that worked out.

It may annoy you, but surely that's better than going out onto the Internet as root because you forgot which login you were in?

At the end of the day I can do everything with su or in Ubuntu's case sudo. I don't even need to login as root.

my $0.02  :-*

Simon.                                                         (^_^)

TIP: Proofread carefully to see if you any words out.
=====================================================================

#7 2007-03-18 14:05:23

jshanab

Thunar and mousepad let you go on the internet? I haven't seen that feature ;-)

#8 2007-03-19 07:47:45

Nick
Dev
Website

I guess it's easier to damage you system with Thunar or Mousepad then with Firefox lol.

Board footer