Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2007-04-09 23:18:57

xarzu

Debian to Mepis and maybe back to Debian

Hello Forum!

I have started out on a Linux journey.  I have a very old ChemBook laptop computer that had had Windows 95 on it.  The world (the on-line world, in particular) had advanced to the point where this laptop was really no longer useful.  So I had been thinking that this was a good chance to start learning Linux.

Then a project had developed at work where some other programmers had decided to start using Debian.  So I started attempting to install Debian.  This did not go very smoothly.

The latest version of Debian (Etch) did not agree immediately with my video hardware.  I struggled with this for a while and eventually decided to give Mepis a shot.  This worked.

Now I am thinking that once I get some other hardware issue resolved I might switch again after I learn more about Linux.

So this is where I am now.  Any suggestions?

#2 2007-04-10 13:22:35

weibullguy
Website

Re: Debian to Mepis and maybe back to Debian

My suggestion is that you stick with one distro for awhile, several months at least.  Once you've become comfortable with the design and layout of a *nix system, the commands in *nix, using the command line, etc. then consider changing.  All of the distros are essentially the same, but each has it's uniqueness.  Get to know Linux or you risk getting bogged down in the differences between this distro and that distro rather than learning how to use the OS.  If you have a problem with a piece of hardware using Debian, solve it in Debian.  Your machine will work and you'll be wiser for the effort.

1. Help the ReliaFree Project --> http://reliafree.sourceforge.net
2. Distribution --> Cross Linux from Scratch
3. Registered Linux user #413054
4. (C)LFS user #17727.
5. Ask smart --> http://www.catb.org/%7Eesr/faqs/smart-questions.html

#3 2007-04-16 12:31:02

pcalvert

Re: Debian to Mepis and maybe back to Debian

Here's a tip:  Make sure that you have a Knoppix CD before trying to install Debian again.  After you install Debian, you can boot Knoppix and use it to manually fix any problems you encounter.

Phil

"It's never too late to be the person you might have been." - George Eliot

Bernie Sanders’ biography

Board footer