Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2011-12-25 22:44:53

farinet

[Solved] Thunar hangs on Desktop

I installed Xubuntu 11.10 on a netbook. Now, i realize Thunar always hangs when i click on the Desktop icon in the sidebar. Any ideas out there? I tried a complete re-install but nothing changed. For all the rest, it seems to behave correctly . . .

Last edited by farinet (2011-12-27 16:48:12)

#2 2011-12-26 05:37:36

Ion Silverbolt

Re: [Solved] Thunar hangs on Desktop

I noticed the thunar open delay bug on a lot of distros. The only one I don't notice it on is Gentoo for whatever reason. For some, changing the group permissions can help. Open Thunar and click  File > Properties > Permissions > then set your group to have read & write permissions.

It might also be an issue with gvfs in your case. https://bugzilla.xfce.org/show_bug.cgi?id=7373

#3 2011-12-26 09:13:02

Nick
Dev
Website

The permission has nothing to do with this. The problem is gvfs waiting for the network or devices as described in the bug.

#4 2011-12-26 15:23:52

farinet

I tried to change permissions but nothing changed.

The problem is: Even when i go, in Thunar, to /home/<username>/Desktop and click on that directory Thunar shows nothing and freezes. It does not show any file in the Desktop, although there are. And when i try to close Thunar, system says: This application seems to hang. Would you like to close it anyway (translating from german here).

I can manipulate the files in the desktop, by going directly to the desktop as it is shown, when there is no application running (or all applications running are hidden). On another machine (powerpc running debian squeeze with xfce) thunar works correctly.

#5 2011-12-27 00:11:22

farinet

Ok. I solved the problem (but i don't really understand, why it arose and why it was solved). I began to get annoyed by the problem of Thunar i thought i could try out pcmanfm (as an alternative) and installed it. Effectively, it seems lightning fast at least in some operations Thunar is pretty slow (e.g. ftp-obex browsing in a device connected by bluetooth - Blueman). Anyway . . .

In pcmanfm i went to the desktop item in the ground of the places list and clicked: Delete bookmark. The item went away, no problem at all (an operation impossible to do in Thunar because i froze, any time i tried that!). Went back to Thunar, clicked on the Desktop item on the upper side of the sidebar and voilà, all fine. The Desktop bookmark item in the lower part of the sidebar was gone in Thunar too.

Last edited by farinet (2011-12-27 00:12:04)

#6 2012-01-06 23:13:39

Sproggy

if you want to speed up Thunar launch with GVFS installed do the following ...

/usr/share/gvfs/mounts/network.mount  or where ever your particular Distro stores network.mount for gvfs and set Automount to false as below

[Mount]
Type=network
Exec=/usr/lib/gvfsd-network
AutoMount=false

this will stop Thunar stating the Network everytime you launch it ...

Board footer