Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2012-01-25 15:09:43

jesuisbenjamin

Customising log-in screen after suspending

I am using Xubuntu 11.10 on a laptop.
After suspending the computer, the dialog prompting me to log back in looks quite poor and has this weird image of a monitor on fire (I don't really understand that).
Is there any way to customize this and make it look like a real dialogue?

Thanks.
B.

#2 2012-01-25 19:55:34

ToZ
Administrator

Re: Customising log-in screen after suspending

In a nutshell: http://www.jwz.org/xscreensaver/faq.html#toolkits (question #24)
More detailed explanation: http://www.jwz.org/xscreensaver/toolkits.html

However, you can do some "skinning" of the dialog. See this Arch article (https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/X_ … _resources or this ubuntuforums post: http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p= … ostcount=3. The complete list of available Xresources (for Xubuntu 11.10) can be found at /etc/X11/app-defaults/XScreenSaver.

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

#3 2012-01-25 20:29:45

jesuisbenjamin

Thanks,

I have two things though:

1. the script you point me to change fonts as well as fore- and background colours. I cannot get rid of the silly burning monitor image really.

2. "lock screen" reverts to a GTK password entry UI instead of Xlib, why this difference / inconsistency?

#4 2012-01-26 00:00:37

lifeinthegrey

The burning monitor cannot be changed. I can't recall where on jwz.org/xscreensaver it says that, but I distinctly remember searching for the exact same "problem" and read it there. Its because of the way that it is set up, its a very minimal program.

oh, you want eXtremely Fast Computing? thats Easy ...

#5 2012-01-26 00:11:12

jesuisbenjamin

OK,

I can understand xscreensaver is not more themeable than this.
How about point 2?
After lock-screen I get Gtk UI password prompt and a Xlib UI prompt after suspension: both are meant to be secure right?
Also in the Power Settings it is possible to toggle the option to "lock screen" when hibernating or suspending.
Why is the screen-lock here different from the one I get when choosing to lock screen manually?
Wouldn't it be possible to use the second kind of screen-lock in suspension instead?
The main argument of the "short answer" provided earlier is that using the Gtk UI would affect security negatively, why then is the Gtk UI used in screen-lock? Does it mean there is the security of the screen-lock can be breeched then?

#6 2012-01-26 03:16:43

ToZ
Administrator

That's interesting, because I also use Xubuntu 11.10 and I only get the Xlib UI for both manual and automated suspend cases. What is this GTK UI that you are referring to? Can you provide a screenshot? Do you perchance also have gnome-screensaver installed and running?

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find

#7 2012-01-26 11:50:48

jesuisbenjamin

Now that you mention it, it really looks like Gnome 3 big_smile
Screenshot%252520-%25252001262012%252520-%25252012%25253A46%25253A13%252520PM.png

That's the funniest thing though, I indeed had Gnome 3 Installed, but I purged it eventually...

In fact it's almost funny that all this gnome stuff is installed:

benjamin@xubuntu:~$ apropos gnome
gnome-calculator (1) - a desktop calculator
gnome-character-map (1) - Unicode character picker and font browser
gnome-control-center (1) - Desktop properties manager
gnome-desktop-item-edit (1) - tool to edit .desktop file
gnome-dictionary (1) - Look up words on dictionaries
gnome-help (1)       - browse system documentation
gnome-keyring-daemon (1) - keep password and other secrets for users
gnome-language-selector (1) - graphical language selection utility
gnome-open (1)       - Open files and URLs using the GNOME file handlers
gnome-options (7)    - Standard Command Line Options for GNOME 2 Programs
gnome-panel (1)      - Display the GNOME panel
gnome-power-statistics (1) - gnome power statistics gui
gnome-screensaver (1) - screen saver and locker
gnome-screensaver-command (1) - controls GNOME screensaver
gnome-screenshot (1) - capture the screen, a window, or an user-defined area ...
gnome-search-tool (1) - the GNOME Search Tool
gnome-session (1)    - Start the GNOME desktop environment
gnome-session-properties (1) - Configure applications to start on login
gnome-session-quit (1) - End the current GNOME session
gnome-settings-daemon (1) - Handles the GNOME session settings
gnome-shell (1)      - Graphical shell for the GNOME desktop
gnome-sound-recorder (1) - simple sound recorder
gnome-sudoku (6)     - puzzle game for the popular Japanese sudoku logic puzzle
gnome-system-log (1) - the GNOME System Log Viewer
gnome-system-monitor (1) - view and control processes
gnome-terminal (1)   - is a terminal emulation application.
gnome-terminal.wrapper (1) - is a terminal emulation application.
gnome-text-editor (1) - text editor for the GNOME Desktop
gnome-www-browser (1) - simple to use web browser for GNOME

On the other hand that means a script could be ran when the lid is shut, before suspending the computer using:

gnome-screensaver-command -l

Last edited by jesuisbenjamin (2012-01-26 12:15:42)

#8 2012-01-26 19:46:46

lifeinthegrey

Welcome to Xubuntu ... both Xubuntu and LMDE XFCE have a LOT of extra GNOME stuff that are installed. I believe the rationale behind it is the prettiness factor, which makes sense in situations where GNOME apps are unavoidable (like gnome-keyring), but really is just kind of lazy for other areas (my humble opinion). Easy example is that even though Xubuntu (and I think Ubuntu, too) uses LightDM now, BOTH used GDM for the longest time. Xubuntu could have easily gone with a lighter login manager, but GDM was just so pretty.

Its also why Xubuntu at idle on boot uses basically the same amount of RAM as GNOME does, because there is so much GNOME crap. Personally, I set up XFCE straight from Debian Testing, and it uses about half of what Xubuntu did on the same machine, and it only uses that much because I'm also running Compiz haha. Hell, on my netbook I used to have Xubuntu and it would run at 300 MB RAM used at idle ... I put XFCE on it (minus the Compiz), and it idles at about 115 MB (out of the box, it used about 60 ... because of various optional services like Zeitgeist, Samba, NFS, etc it grew). With like 10 programs open (Libreoffice, Chromium, Pidgin, etc), it doesnt even reach 500 MB used, and it NEVER touches swap. For a netbook with only 1 GB of RAM ... that says something.

Xubuntu is good if you want a quick and easy setup of an XFCE system, but it is definitely the most bloated of the XFCE-based distros. Sorry to rant about it, I just feel Xubuntu kind of gives a false impression as to how lightweight, efficient, and modular XFCE really can be. Again, solely my opinion, take it with a grain of salt.

oh, you want eXtremely Fast Computing? thats Easy ...

#9 2012-01-26 20:18:01

jesuisbenjamin

lifeinthegrey wrote:

Welcome to Xubuntu ... both Xubuntu and LMDE XFCE have a LOT of extra GNOME stuff that are installed. I believe the rationale behind it is the prettiness factor, which makes sense in situations where GNOME apps are unavoidable (like gnome-keyring), but really is just kind of lazy for other areas (my humble opinion). Easy example is that even though Xubuntu (and I think Ubuntu, too) uses LightDM now, BOTH used GDM for the longest time. Xubuntu could have easily gone with a lighter login manager, but GDM was just so pretty.

Its also why Xubuntu at idle on boot uses basically the same amount of RAM as GNOME does, because there is so much GNOME crap. Personally, I set up XFCE straight from Debian Testing, and it uses about half of what Xubuntu did on the same machine, and it only uses that much because I'm also running Compiz haha. Hell, on my netbook I used to have Xubuntu and it would run at 300 MB RAM used at idle ... I put XFCE on it (minus the Compiz), and it idles at about 115 MB (out of the box, it used about 60 ... because of various optional services like Zeitgeist, Samba, NFS, etc it grew). With like 10 programs open (Libreoffice, Chromium, Pidgin, etc), it doesnt even reach 500 MB used, and it NEVER touches swap. For a netbook with only 1 GB of RAM ... that says something.

Xubuntu is good if you want a quick and easy setup of an XFCE system, but it is definitely the most bloated of the XFCE-based distros. Sorry to rant about it, I just feel Xubuntu kind of gives a false impression as to how lightweight, efficient, and modular XFCE really can be. Again, solely my opinion, take it with a grain of salt.

Thanks for this feedback, although out of context wink . To be honest I am still hesitant as to what I should use, I am very unhappy about the retarded Unity and although Gnome3 has good looks, it is very coercive. I just want to be able to have a DE that adapts to me, not the other way around. I am not so much bothered about RAM usage, at least I am not picky on details. I like things to go fast though yes. I'm glad with XFCE so far, but there are few limitations that bug me a little, but which I am able to complement with Compiz (but then again Compiz is heavy, and full of useless stuff and there is no enduser-to-programmer dialogue (never got a single reply on their forum). I'm thinking of hacking into the WM but I know merely Python which is not well equipped for dealing with X.

Anyway, still hoping to get this Xlib Screen-lock out of my way.

Last edited by jesuisbenjamin (2012-01-26 20:18:25)

#10 2012-01-26 23:58:18

ToZ
Administrator

Are both xscreensaver and gnome-screensaver running?

ps -ef | grep screensaver | grep -v grep

xscreensaver-command -l

...will lock the screen as well.

If both are running, you could remove one. If you're preference is for the gnome one, you could keep that one and remove xscreensaver.

Last edited by ToZ (2012-01-26 23:58:54)

#11 2012-01-27 00:02:57

jesuisbenjamin

The gnome screen saver does not run by default, it runs only after I invoke it (through Synapse or through the Session Menu):

benjamin@xubuntu:~$ ps -ef | grep screensaver | grep -v grep
benjamin  1409  1357  0 00:58 ?        00:00:00 xscreensaver -no-splash
benjamin@xubuntu:~$ ps -ef | grep screensaver | grep -v grep
benjamin  1409  1357  0 00:58 ?        00:00:00 xscreensaver -no-splash
benjamin  1702     1  3 01:00 ?        00:00:00 /usr/bin/gnome-screensaver --no-daemon

Suppose I use the gnome screen-saver only, will it launch on suspension too?

#12 2012-01-27 01:27:58

ToZ
Administrator

Never tried it, but what happens if you uninstall xscreensaver?

Found this: http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions … er-458516/.

Board footer