Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2012-11-12 18:18:18

chlapek

XFCE 4.10 2 rows panel

Hi,

I used on LMDE (Linux Mint Debian Edition 1204) XFCE 4.8 the horizontal separator, to separate one row for my lunchers and one for my running applications.
Here is my results:
abeAwTf7
As you can see - lunchers | horizontal separator | applications (first row lunchers, second applications; the black box is just censoring)

I am setting up my notebook with Linux Mint 13 (maya based on ubuntu) and there is XFCE in ver 4.10.
There is no separator with attribute "new line" but I can set up the panel "2 rows". When I do, I have two rows for applications and my lunchers are all on the right (not in the first row).

Do you know how to reach the same result as I was before (with XFCE 4.8 - you can see on the picture)?
Thx for info

Last edited by chlapek (2012-11-12 18:20:26)

#2 2012-11-12 23:48:26

secipolla

Re: XFCE 4.10 2 rows panel

How about two panels (one on top of the other)?

#3 2012-11-17 22:48:46

andrzejr

This method is no longer supported. Sorry about that, it was making the code really difficult to maintain so we have decided to remove this feature.

An alternative (a new feature in 4.10) is to set the number of rows to 2 in the panel settings dialog. The panel will *not* look like the one on your screenshot but its functionality will be similar.

Stacking two panels works as well (sort of), but the inner panel will be covered by maximized windows (only panels at edges of the screen set struts (margins) for the window manager).

#4 2012-11-18 00:33:50

secipolla

andrzejr wrote:

Stacking two panels works as well (sort of), but the inner panel will be covered by maximized windows (only panels at edges of the screen set struts (margins) for the window manager).

But then I suppose he could set a bottom margin in Settings>Workspaces.

#5 2012-11-22 20:02:44

chlapek

Thx a lot guys, thats not exactly the same as it was before but seems pretty useful to me.

#6 2015-02-17 20:15:12

kubsztal

Hi everybody, newbie here!

andrzejr wrote:

This method is no longer supported. Sorry about that, it was making the code really difficult to maintain so we have decided to remove this feature.

Would you perhaps consider bringing this option back again? The reason I switched from KDE and Cinnamon to XFCE is no ability to configure easily two rows panel with "category app menu" (something similar to Free Launch Bar) at a top row and I hoped that I will achieve this here. Seems it's the case too sad Sometimes I really don't understand why some standard desktop feature available under Windows ca. 20 years ago is still missing under Linux... sad

#7 2015-02-17 23:30:03

MountainDewManiac

kubsztal wrote:

Sometimes I really don't understand why some standard desktop feature available under Windows ca. 20 years ago is still missing under Linux... sad

The most prevelant Microsoft OS feature from 20 years ago that I can recall is the BSoD, lol. The one that comes to mind when I think of current Microsoft OS would be the one where it doesn't do a proper shut-down. Glad am I that linux distros (for the most part) are not "Windows™" clones roll .

You could, I suppose, place two panels of the same size and orientation - one directly below the other -  but IDK how that would work when they are set to auto-hide like good panels should (poorly, I imagine). I recently added a 3rd panel in addition to the full-length double-size ones that I have at the top and bottom; it's a small vertical one on the upper-left of the screen, starting just below the upper panel. It is only large enough for seven large icons. I generally use it for temporary "shortcuts" for applications that I have not yet bothered to create keyboard shortcuts for. Like my other two panels, when I am not using the thing, it is out of sight and not taking up space on my display. YMMV, of course.

Regards,
MDM

Last edited by MountainDewManiac (2015-02-17 23:30:43)

Mountain Dew Maniac

How to Ask for Help <=== Click on this link

Board footer