Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2013-08-11 16:30:37

zweverig

[Solved] unable to make shortcuts in Thunar

Hi,

I'm running Slackware 14, currently Xfce 4.10, Thunar 1.6. I've just upgraded from Slackware 13.0.

For some reason I'm unable to make shortcuts in Thunar. Earlier I could right-click-drag a folder to the panel as shortcut. Now nothing happens, the icon just flips back.

First I blamed Thunar, and tried downgrading to the version I run earlier (Thunar 1.1) but that made no difference. So I'm guessing it's either Gtk or Xfce or something faulty in Slackware 14.

I'm really curious if anybody has any idea.

I could try to upgrade other stuff, Xfce to 4.12, or Gtk from gtk+2-2.24.10 to gtk+2-2.24.20...

Thanks for your time.

Last edited by zweverig (2013-08-11 16:31:19)

#2 2013-08-11 23:46:21

daggoth

Re: [Solved] unable to make shortcuts in Thunar

Have you tried to add a bookmark by editing the ~/.gtk-bookmarks file? Although I'm sure there are other ways too...

#3 2013-08-12 09:48:27

zweverig

daggoth wrote:

Have you tried to add a bookmark by editing the ~/.gtk-bookmarks file? Although I'm sure there are other ways too...

As far as I can tell Thunar does not use the ~/.gtk-bookmarks file.

#4 2013-08-12 10:42:55

ToZ
Administrator

zweverig wrote:
daggoth wrote:

Actually, Thunar does use the .gtk-bookmarks file, but for the bookmarks (or shortcuts) that you place inside thunar itself.

zweverig wrote:

Earlier I could right-click-drag a folder to the panel as shortcut. Now nothing happens, the icon just flips back.

I believe the OP is asking about drag and drop from Thunar to the Panel itself. According to http://www.xfce.org/about/tour48 ("Drag and drop to create launchers" section"), this can be done with .desktop files from Thunar. I've never used this functionality in the past, and can say that it doesn't work for me as the OP suggests ("right-click-drag a folder to the panel as shortcut") in 4.10. I don't have a version of Xfce earleir than this to test with.

As a workaround, you could drag and drop the thunar app (from "Application Finder" or /usr/share/applications) and edit the properties of the launcher to open the folder that you want.

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

#5 2013-08-13 06:11:49

zweverig

zweverig wrote:

ToZ wrote:

Actually, Thunar does use the .gtk-bookmarks file, but for the bookmarks (or shortcuts) that you place inside thunar itself.

I should have expressed myself more clearly: I meant to say that I edited ~/.gtk-bookmarks, but saw no effect (I was looking at the panel, were the shortcuts were placed earlier).

However, I did not look carefully enough. While the panel has no shortcuts anymore, the bookmarks now appear in the menu Go, which is just fine by me. Thank you both! :-)

Last edited by zweverig (2013-08-13 06:40:41)

Board footer