Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2013-11-08 19:14:46

discosammy

Laptop is double suspending when lid is opening and closing

Hello...

What is the best way to control behavior of a laptop and suspend when lid is closed.

I have a lenovo x61 with a finger print reader. Running xubuntu 13.10 (xcfe4?) 

Everything had been working as expected; close the lid and suspend; open the lid and be presented with a lock screen.

I had made an adjustment in power saving, but reversing the selection in the combo under Power Manager does not return me to original.

What happens: I close the lid, the computer suspends as expected; however when I open the lid, the computer will unspend  but then return to sleep mode. I have to press the power button to get a lock screen.

Power Manager is just writing to files behind the scene correct? Is there a way to check these bits directly to see what values they have?

Any other ideas?

#2 2013-11-08 20:09:56

ToZ

Re: Laptop is double suspending when lid is opening and closing

With Ubuntu 13.10, systemd has become more integrated. The version of xfce4-power-manager being used by Xubuntu in 13.10 has not been patched to handle systemd (not sure about the git status of xfce4-power-manager). As a result, if you configure xfce4-power-manager to handle lid events, then you have two systems handling lid events (systemd & xfce). Hence the double-suspend.

There are 2 possible workarounds:
1. Disable systemd lid management. This is the easiest. In /etc/systemd/logind.conf, change the line that reads:

#HandleLidSwitch=suspend

...to read:

HandleLidSwitch=ignore

...save the file and reboot.

2. Configure xfce4-power-manager to "Do Nothing" with the lid switch event and allow systemd to handle it. Unfortunately, when I tried this, I also lost lock screen on suspend functionality (though I figure you can create something to lock the screen and tie it in).

Naturally, the best solution is for xfce4-power-manager to be patched to work with systemd.

How To Ask For Help           Xfce FAQ                            Xfce Release Information
The Xfce Community          Xfce Tips and Tricks

Board footer