Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2013-12-30 19:29:59

Sardo_Numpsa

[Solved] XFCE4/Slackware14.1 logon screen

Hi,

I'm looking for some advice, google has not been of any help to me.

I have newly installed Slackware 14.1 with XFCE 4. After booting and the logon screen is displayed the background is light blue, I guess it's the default wallpaper with the mouse hidden behind the logon screen. Any ideas how I can change the the background wallpaper to one of my choice? 

All I have come across is how to change the logon screen on Xubuntu which is not much help.

Thanks

#2 2013-12-30 22:02:31

Sideburns
Website

Re: [Solved] XFCE4/Slackware14.1 logon screen

I don't use either Slackware or Xubuntu, but I do know that Xubuntu uses lightdm and lightdm-gtk-greeter.  If Slackware does too (I think it's the default for Xfce.) the instructions you found should work.  Just be sure that you add comments to the file to document what you did and when, just to be safe.

Registered Linux user #470359
Permanently recovered BOFH
Any advice in this post is worth exactly what you paid for it.

#3 2013-12-30 22:46:08

Sardo_Numpsa

Thanks.

Actually it looks like for some reason Slackware uses XDM rather than LDM.

If anyone is interested here is how you change the background:

http://www.linuxjournal.com/article/3325

#4 2013-12-31 00:08:57

Spect73

On Slackware 14.1 here, I just do a "Applications Menu->Settings->Desktop" to change the background.

Coordially,
Spect73

Coordially,
Spect73

#5 2013-12-31 09:45:34

Sardo_Numpsa

Spect73 wrote:

On Slackware 14.1 here, I just do a "Applications Menu->Settings->Desktop" to change the background.

Coordially,
Spect73

No the desktop background is separate to the XDM background. I think you cannot use an image for the XDM background, your can only change the colour, but I may be wrong.

#6 2014-01-01 00:46:16

cwizard

Spect73 wrote:

Coordially,
Spect73

+1
This works just fine with the default Slackware installation. You can get to the same place
by right clicking on a blank spot on your Xfce screen/desktop and then on, "Desktop Settings."

#7 2014-01-01 06:53:10

Sardo_Numpsa

Guys I know how to change the desktop background, it's pretty much the same as every other OS I have ever used.

I was talking about the XDM (AKA logon) screen. Google it if you are still unsure what I am talking about.

#8 2014-01-02 00:56:03

MountainDewManiac

Sardo_Numpsa wrote:
Spect73 wrote:

Coordially,
Spect73

No the desktop background is separate to the XDM background. I think you cannot use an image for the XDM background, your can only change the colour, but I may be wrong.

Do a Google search for "change xdm image" (sans quotation marks). Click on the XDM ArchWiki web page in the results list; it was at the top of the list just now when I read your post and decided to ask Google for the answer, so it should still be at our near the top. The second section of the XDM page explains how to do what you want. Although it doesn't appear to be as "pointlessly pretty" as some login managers - there doesn't appear to be any provision for animated images or views of flying through clouds (which you can steer) like whatever Mint uses for a login manager, you can still change the look of the thing. There is an example showing how to move the login prompt to the bottom righthand corner of the screen and display a random image that you might find useful.

Regards,
MDM

Mountain Dew Maniac

How to Ask for Help <=== Click on this link

#9 2014-01-02 01:01:48

MountainDewManiac

Btw, I imagine that one can change the login manager that their computer uses just about as easily as one can change just about everything else in linux, so if you are not ultimately happy with how you can make XDM look, you can always try LDM, GDM, et cetera (AfaIK).

Regards,
MDM (no relation, lol)

Mountain Dew Maniac

How to Ask for Help <=== Click on this link

#10 2014-01-02 16:54:43

Sardo_Numpsa

MountainDewManiac wrote:
Sardo_Numpsa wrote:
Spect73 wrote:

Coordially,
Spect73

Do a Google search for "change xdm image" (sans quotation marks). Click on the XDM ArchWiki web page in the results list; it was at the top of the list just now when I read your post and decided to ask Google for the answer, so it should still be at our near the top. The second section of the XDM page explains how to do what you want. Although it doesn't appear to be as "pointlessly pretty" as some login managers - there doesn't appear to be any provision for animated images or views of flying through clouds (which you can steer) like whatever Mint uses for a login manager, you can still change the look of the thing. There is an example showing how to move the login prompt to the bottom righthand corner of the screen and display a random image that you might find useful.

Regards,
MDM

Thanks. Not tried this as am happy with just changing the background colour.

Board footer