Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2014-04-27 02:18:03

aaasics

Problem with Quick Access to Multiple Workspaces

I'm migrating to XFCE4 from XFCE3

I generally run with 10 workspaces and up to 30 or 40 icons (or more) per workspace (in "minimize to desktop" mode).

I rename the workspace to a useful name, but I can find no direct way to access the desktops by that name when there are so many applications running.

If I middle mouse to display the workspaces, the list of running applications is so large I have to scroll *a lot*.

In XFCE3 the workspace names simply appeared in the panel and I could just click on them. (I can post an image if desired)

I tried adding various things to the panel, but there seems to be nothing that is just a simple list of the workspace names so I can click on the workspace to go to it.

I tried about every panel option for "windows list" but none are just a simple list of workspaces.
The pager would work but it does not list the workspace name.

The XFCE3 method was PERFECT!

Any suggestions?

Thanks

#2 2014-04-27 11:03:33

ToZ
Administrator

Re: Problem with Quick Access to Multiple Workspaces

In XFCE3 the workspace names simply appeared in the panel and I could just click on them. (I can post an image if desired)

In the Workspace Switcher panel plugin, if you unselect the "Show miniature view" option, the plugin will display only the workspace names. Is this what you're looking for?

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

#3 2014-04-28 03:07:27

aaasics

sounds good, but I can't find the Workspace switcher panel plugin, nor  can I find a "show miniature view" checkbox in anything I can find.
Do I need to install a special version?  If you ask me what is installed, please tell me how to determine that (since I didn't do the install).
I'll keep looking.  I can set the number of workspaces, and that's about it.

Thanks

Last edited by aaasics (2014-04-28 03:08:21)

#4 2014-04-28 06:56:12

aaasics

BTW, I am running 4.4.2 on CentOS 5.9 and I probably should have posted in the desktop forum.

Last edited by aaasics (2014-04-28 07:09:59)

#5 2014-04-28 10:43:16

ToZ
Administrator

I'm sorry but I don't have version 4.4.2 running anywhere to double-check for you. It is quite old (2007?). The "show miniature view" option may or may not exist in that version. Is the Workspace switcher (or possibly pager) not installed? The panel plugin where you can click on the sections to change workspaces. If you right-click it and select Properties, which properties can you change?

EDIT: This thread might be helpful in helping you to find it. It describes the plugin.

Last edited by ToZ (2014-04-28 10:44:34)

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

Board footer