Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2015-04-13 20:34:00

tuxolero

Can I turn off the auto-hiding of scrollbars ?

Hi,

The new auto-hiding of scrollbars is a nice idea ... but:
it makes some areas of the window content unreachable.

e.g. if you use x11vnc and remmina to work on a remote computer (also running XFCE) and the remote desktop is bigger than the local one, you can not activate the bottom panel any more.
Because of the auto-hiding of the scrollbars, remmina uses the complete window for content, including the right and bottom part where the scrollbars were before. When you move the mouse to the bottom of the window, the scrollbar appears, but the content stays at the same size. So, the mouse can never reach the bottom part of the remote desktop and never un-hide the bottom panel.

I have looked through the XFCE settings, but I could not find an option to turn it off.

Thanks,
tuxolero

#2 2015-04-13 22:44:25

ToZ
Administrator

Re: Can I turn off the auto-hiding of scrollbars ?

Xfce doesn't have auto-hiding scrollbar functionality. Are you asking about an ubuntu-based distro? If so, perhaps you are referring to overlay scrollbars?

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

#3 2015-04-13 23:12:50

tuxolero

No, I'm using XFCE on Arch Linux. And since one of the latest updates, I have seen auto-hiding toolbars in mutliple applications, e.g. transmission and remmina.
But ... thinking it over ... they are GTK applications, not native XFCE applications.
I was a bit confused about finding the term "hidden scrollbars" in What's New in Xfce (page 7), but it could indeed be a GTK feature.

#4 2015-04-14 03:07:41

ToZ
Administrator

Okay, I see what your talking about. I also use Arch but I don't have any GTK3 apps installed. I installed Remmina and I can now see the auto-hiding scrollbar. Looks like this is the new GTK3.16 overlay scrollbars. According to this commit, they can be turned off via an environment variable.

EDIT: Running an app like:

env GTK_OVERLAY_SCROLLING=0 <app>

...will disable the overlay scrollbars.

Adding:

export GTK_OVERLAY_SCROLLING=0

...to my ~/.bashrc file makes it permanent for my session.

Last edited by ToZ (2015-04-14 03:19:52)

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

#5 2015-04-14 04:11:45

sonycdr

The video does not show the horizontal scrollbar. Particularly annoying because it might hide the last line.
Thanks ToZ for the tips.

Last edited by sonycdr (2015-04-14 05:56:02)

Board footer