Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2016-01-04 23:27:41

rsgosnell

[Solved] System won't wake up after suspend

I'm running Debian Sid on an Asus chromebox, with SeaBIOS.  I've been running Debian/Xfce for years on various hardware.  I have a Vizio TV as a monitor, via HDMI.  When the system goes to sleep, the TV turns itself off.  This hasn't been a problem until lately.  Suddenly the system won't wake up after the display goes to sleep.  The HDMI won't come back on, and all I can do is restart the system with the power switch, not an ideal solution.  I've changed all the settings in the power manager applet, using all the choices I can find, and nothing works.  I've also disabled the screensaver.  Any ideas?

#2 2016-01-05 00:29:11

MountainDewManiac

Re: [Solved] System won't wake up after suspend

rsgosnell wrote:

I'm running Debian Sid

That's a version of the distro that gets updates isn't it?

rsgosnell wrote:

Suddenly

Since when? What updates have you accepted (if any, but presumably some) between the time this issue definitely was not present and the time that it definitely was? I would guess that there's a 99%+ probability that therein lies your problem. That's assuming that you haven't made any changes to your system that you've simply forgotten about. (And further assuming that your Vizio didn't receive any OtA updates (if it is a "smart" television) that would have somehow affected your computer, but I am assuming that its ability to provoke such an affect would be less than "somewhat unlikely".)

Regards,
MDM

Mountain Dew Maniac

How to Ask for Help <=== Click on this link

#3 2016-01-05 03:23:08

ToZ
Administrator

Adding to what MDM has already posted, can you also clarify this statement:

Suddenly the system won't wake up after the display goes to sleep.

Does the system not wake up or does the display not wake up? Or both?

There is a current bug with external monitors (I believe display port and hdmi) where the monitor won't wake up after the system does.

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

#4 2016-01-06 04:40:14

rsgosnell

I'm not sure if the system wakes up.  Without a display it's hard to tell.  The display does come back on when the shutdown starts after pressing the power button, so I think the system won't wake up at all.  The Vizio isn't a smart tv, just a cheapie that I've repurposed after buying a new TV for the bedroom.  Sid has updates almost daily, and I've done them regularly, as always.  It started happening about 4 days ago.  No kernel updates, just regular package updates.  I think the X system got updated somewhere along the line, but I haven't kept a log, nor looked at the system logs.  Everything had been fine, the system woke up when I powered up the TV and moved the mouse or pressed anything on the keyboard, then one day it wouldn't wake up at all. 

Is the current bug in Xfce, or something else?

#5 2016-01-06 11:33:03

ToZ
Administrator

rsgosnell wrote:

I'm not sure if the system wakes up.  Without a display it's hard to tell.

This would be the first thing you'll need to determine. After resuming from suspend:
- do any LED lights on the device start blinking like when the system is on?
- can you ssh into the computer from another computer?

You can also try mapping:

xrandr --auto

...to a keyboard combination. When you resume from suspend, press the keyboard combination. If this works, then you have hit the bug.

Sid has updates almost daily, and I've done them regularly, as always.  It started happening about 4 days ago.  No kernel updates, just regular package updates.  I think the X system got updated somewhere along the line, but I haven't kept a log, nor looked at the system logs.

What do the system update logs say? Which packages were updated 4 days ago?

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find

#6 2016-01-06 16:11:30

rsgosnell

There are no LED lights, other than the power switch.  I don't have ssh installed, on it or my chromebook.  I suppose I should do that.  I've never needed it, it's just my desktop computer with no need to access it with ssh. 

I'll try the keyboard mapping and see what happens.  I'm becoming convinced it's an HDMI problem.  I can turn the TV off and back on very quickly, and the display won't return.  The system should still be alive, but the HDMI cuts out and can't be reactivated.

The keyboard mapping with xrandr works.  It brings the display back.  It's not optimal, but at least it does work.  Again, is this a bug in Xfce or in X?  Just trying to understand where it is.

Last edited by rsgosnell (2016-01-06 16:41:17)

#7 2016-01-06 20:55:27

demosthenese

I too had this problem a few months ago. Switching from gdm to lightdm fixed things for me. May not be the same problem but a similar symptom.

#8 2016-01-06 21:02:06

rsgosnell

From what I've been able to find, this seems to be a bug in xfce.  I suppose I could try installing another DE and see if it persists, but I'm not that ambitious about it for now.  LightDM is currently installed.  I might try switching DMs, but that's also probably more work than I want to go to.  Entering Ctrl-x when waking the system isn't that onerous.

Last edited by rsgosnell (2016-01-07 00:31:16)

#9 2016-01-07 01:36:58

ToZ
Administrator

rsgosnell wrote:

The keyboard mapping with xrandr works.  It brings the display back.  It's not optimal, but at least it does work.  Again, is this a bug in Xfce or in X?  Just trying to understand where it is.

I believe this is the bug report: https://bugzilla.xfce.org/show_bug.cgi?id=11627.
Also a launchpad bug report: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+sour … ug/1259339.
There may be others.

I'm not sure if its an Xfce or X bug.

#10 2016-01-12 16:19:16

rsgosnell

This seems to be an Xfce bug.  I installed KDE just because I wanted to try it after not using it for several years.  With KDE, the HDMI comes back with any keyboard or mouse input.  I'd still like to know why it worked and then suddenly stopped, but I suppose knowing that would enable squashing the bug, which hasn't yet been squashed.  I'll leave this as solved, even though the issue still exists, because there is a kludge to get around it.

#11 2016-01-18 02:44:57

rsgosnell

Strange.  I ran KDE for a few days, to see what it's like now.  It's still installed, but I'm running Xfce sessions.  The bug isn't showing up now.  The TV can go off and the display returns immediately when the TV is turned back on.  It's back to the state it was in originally.  Something got around the issue, but I have no idea what.

Board footer