Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2016-11-19 01:38:36

mikkqu

CTRL+SHIFT shortcut from overlapping with itself other programs

I totally prefer to change keyboard layout by "LCtrl + LShift", as it seem to be the only convenient way for me.
Thus, the following setting take place in my XFCE setting manager: Keyboard -> Layout -> Change layout option: "LCtrl + LShift"

However, I noticed that if that set, I can't use "LCtrl + LShift + X" in other programs, i.e. xfce4-terminal.
Something like "Preferences - Ctrl+Shift+P" is not going to work anymore.

Another strange thing is that my "accelerators" are no longer editable, despite "Enable editable accelerators" enabled.
I remember it was working at some point, so I could just hover my mouse over some menu item and input new shortcut.
But now I couldn't do that, setting "Enable editable accelerators" on and off don't help either.

Am I doing anything wrong or it is a bug?
Can I workaround these two issues somehow?

Last edited by mikkqu (2016-11-19 01:40:05)

#2 2016-11-19 02:07:35

ToZ

Re: CTRL+SHIFT shortcut from overlapping with itself other programs

mikkqu wrote:

I totally prefer to change keyboard layout by "LCtrl + LShift", as it seem to be the only convenient way for me.
Thus, the following setting take place in my XFCE setting manager: Keyboard -> Layout -> Change layout option: "LCtrl + LShift"
However, I noticed that if that set, I can't use "LCtrl + LShift + X" in other programs, i.e. xfce4-terminal.
Something like "Preferences - Ctrl+Shift+P" is not going to work anymore.

I believe this is the result of a long-standing issue where shortcuts are processed when the keys are pressed and not released. In this case, Ctrl+Shift is processed and the remaining key ignored. Same happens if you want to use Super-only for the menu, other Super+ shortcuts don't work. See this bug report.

Another strange thing is that my "accelerators" are no longer editable, despite "Enable editable accelerators" enabled.
I remember it was working at some point, so I could just hover my mouse over some menu item and input new shortcut.
But now I couldn't do that, setting "Enable editable accelerators" on and off don't help either.

The old method doesn't work with the gtk3 version of xfce4-terminal. You need to manually edit the ~/.config/xfce4/terminal/accels.scm file to change the accelerators. (bug report)

How To Ask For Help           Xfce FAQ                            Xfce Release Information
The Xfce Community          Xfce Tips and Tricks

Board footer