Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2017-09-07 01:31:27

alexpl

x86_32 support

Hello,

I am writing on behalf of the Fedora x86 SIG, which is currently under formation. Our goal is to keep Fedora running on the i686 platform and if there is enough interest, we might produce an i686 spin. As we are examining our options for a specific deliverable that we want to see maintained, the “tiny server” target seems the most sustainable one, but we haven't ruled out desktops yet.

What I would like to hear from you is if your road map for the foreseeable future includes some change that might make it impractical to run Xfce on i686 machines, or if you intend to drop support for the architecture altogether. We haven't decided on the minimum specs we are willing to support/test, but for now PAE support seems out and we are still trying to figure out if we want to include non-SSE2 CPUs. In any case, we are talking about systems with limited resources, so it would be desirable e.g. to keep RAM use of the desktop below 512MB.

Best regards
Alexander Ploumistos

#2 2017-09-07 07:12:43

ozjd
Website

Re: x86_32 support

Isn't it a bit premature to be working on this? Fedora hasn't decided to drop support for 32 bit yet and if it does happen it probably won't be until 28. Although I know they have downgraded support for 32 bit. At Korora we dropped 32 bit ISOs as they were becoming an insignificant number of downloads very quickly.

That said, and getting back on topic, the developers don't visit here much. It would probably be better for you to ask on the development mailing list, see https://mail.xfce.org/mailman/listinfo.

#3 2017-09-07 12:28:20

alexpl

Re: x86_32 support

ozjd wrote:

Isn't it a bit premature to be working on this? Fedora hasn't decided to drop support for 32 bit yet and if it does happen it probably won't be until 28.

Fedora Engineering Steering Comittee has decided to drop i686 kernels from F28, unless a working i686 SIG steps up and takes care of things by F27 release. Given that F27 beta is nearing release, I'd say it's in the nick of time.

That said, and getting back on topic, the developers don't visit here much. It would probably be better for you to ask on the development mailing list, see https://mail.xfce.org/mailman/listinfo.

Thank you, I don't know how I missed it.

Cheers

Board footer