Xfce Forum

Sub domains
 

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-01-22 16:52:15

rolgiati
Member
From: Asuncion, Paraguay
Registered: 2013-06-08
Posts: 22

Changing the desktop icons text colour ? (SOLVED)

I am developing for a customer, who wants a desktop which is mainly white.

As the desktop icons labels are also mainly white, it makes for difficult reading, and I have been unable to find where to configure the font colour for those.

Any idea ?

Last edited by rolgiati (2018-02-03 20:20:14)

Offline

#2 2018-01-22 17:21:45

ToZ
Moderator
From: Canada
Registered: 2011-06-02
Posts: 4,846

Re: Changing the desktop icons text colour ? (SOLVED)

Offline

#3 2018-01-22 19:16:19

rolgiati
Member
From: Asuncion, Paraguay
Registered: 2013-06-08
Posts: 22

Re: Changing the desktop icons text colour ? (SOLVED)

Gateful thanks; I just need to replace  #000000 with #ffffff in the three fg lines of ~/.gtkrc-2.0 !

Offline

#4 2018-01-22 21:13:37

rolgiati
Member
From: Asuncion, Paraguay
Registered: 2013-06-08
Posts: 22

Re: Changing the desktop icons text colour ? (SOLVED)

rolgiati wrote:

Gateful thanks; I just need to replace  #000000 with #ffffff in the three fg lines of ~/.gtkrc-2.0 !

except that, sadly, it does not work, my icons labels still come out in white with grey shadows...

Offline

#5 2018-01-23 00:13:55

ToZ
Moderator
From: Canada
Registered: 2011-06-02
Posts: 4,846

Re: Changing the desktop icons text colour ? (SOLVED)

Just to confirm, you are using xfdesktop 4.12.x (gtk2) version?

If so, try this snippet:

style "xfdesktop-icon-view" {
    XfdesktopIconView::shadow-x-offset = 0
    XfdesktopIconView::shadow-y-offset = 0
    XfdesktopIconView::shadow-color = "#000000"

    XfdesktopIconView::selected-shadow-x-offset = 0
    XfdesktopIconView::selected-shadow-y-offset = 0
    XfdesktopIconView::selected-shadow-color = "#000000"

    base[NORMAL] = "#b5b5b4"
    base[SELECTED] = "#b5b5b4"
    base[ACTIVE] = "#b5b5b4"

    fg[NORMAL] = "#000000"
    fg[SELECTED] = "#000000"
    fg[ACTIVE] = "#000000"
}
widget_class "*XfdesktopIconView*" style "xfdesktop-icon-view"

...or if you want a transparent text background, try:

style "xfdesktop-icon-view" {
    XfdesktopIconView::label-alpha = 0 
    XfdesktopIconView::selected-label-alpha = 0

    XfdesktopIconView::shadow-x-offset = 0
    XfdesktopIconView::shadow-y-offset = 0
    XfdesktopIconView::shadow-color = "#000000"

    XfdesktopIconView::selected-shadow-x-offset = 0
    XfdesktopIconView::selected-shadow-y-offset = 0
    XfdesktopIconView::selected-shadow-color = "#000000"

    base[NORMAL] = "#b5b5b4"
    base[SELECTED] = "#b5b5b4"
    base[ACTIVE] = "#b5b5b4"

    fg[NORMAL] = "#000000"
    fg[SELECTED] = "#000000"
    fg[ACTIVE] = "#000000"
}
widget_class "*XfdesktopIconView*" style "xfdesktop-icon-view"

You'll need to restart xfdesktop (pkill xfdesktop) or log out and back in again to see the change.

Offline

#6 2018-01-23 11:04:42

rolgiati
Member
From: Asuncion, Paraguay
Registered: 2013-06-08
Posts: 22

Re: Changing the desktop icons text colour ? (SOLVED)

ToZ wrote:

Just to confirm, you are using xfdesktop 4.12.x (gtk2) version?

[ron@localhost ~]$ xfdesktop -V
This is xfdesktop version 4.12.4, running on Xfce 4.12.
Built with GTK+ 2.24.31, linked with GTK+ 2.24.31.
Build options:
    Desktop Menu:        enabled
    Desktop Icons:       enabled
    Desktop File Icons:  enabled

ToZ wrote:

If so, try this snippet:(SNIP)
You'll need to restart xfdesktop (pkill xfdesktop) or log out and back in again to see the change.

Thank you for your kind help.
Sadly, the snippet did not work either.  ;-3(

Offline

#7 2018-01-23 11:16:52

ToZ
Moderator
From: Canada
Registered: 2011-06-02
Posts: 4,846

Re: Changing the desktop icons text colour ? (SOLVED)

Can you post back the results of:

cat $HOME/.gtkrc-2.0

...and:

ls -al $HOME | grep gtk

...and:

ps -ef | grep -i desktop

Offline

#8 2018-01-23 13:48:14

rolgiati
Member
From: Asuncion, Paraguay
Registered: 2013-06-08
Posts: 22

Re: Changing the desktop icons text colour ? (SOLVED)

ToZ wrote:

Can you post back the results of:

cat $HOME/.gtkrc-2.0

[ron@localhost ~]$ cat $HOME/.gtkrc-2.0
style "xfdesktop-icon-view" {
    XfdesktopIconView::shadow-x-offset = 0
    XfdesktopIconView::shadow-y-offset = 0
    XfdesktopIconView::shadow-color = "#000000"

    XfdesktopIconView::selected-shadow-x-offset = 0
    XfdesktopIconView::selected-shadow-y-offset = 0
    XfdesktopIconView::selected-shadow-color = "#000000"

    base[NORMAL] = "#b5b5b4"
    base[SELECTED] = "#b5b5b4"
    base[ACTIVE] = "#b5b5b4"

    fg[NORMAL] = "#000000"
    fg[SELECTED] = "#000000"
    fg[ACTIVE] = "#000000"
}
widget_class "*XfdesktopIconView*" style "xfdesktop-icon-view"

ToZ wrote:

...and:

ls -al $HOME | grep gtk

[ron@localhost ~]$ ls -al $HOME | grep gtk
-rw-r--r--  1 ron  ron     565 janv. 23 03:54 .gtkrc-2.0

ToZ wrote:

...and:

ps -ef | grep -i desktop

[ron@localhost ~]$ ps -ef | grep -i desktop
ron       2634     1  0 07:24 ?        00:00:01 xfdesktop
ron       3631  3568  0 07:29 pts/0    00:00:00 grep --color -i desktop

Offline

#9 2018-01-23 16:08:45

ToZ
Moderator
From: Canada
Registered: 2011-06-02
Posts: 4,846

Re: Changing the desktop icons text colour ? (SOLVED)

That should work. Which appearance (gtk2) theme are you using?

Also try changing the last line:

widget_class "*XfdesktopIconView*" style "xfdesktop-icon-view"

...to this:

widget_class "*XfdesktopIconView*" style:highest "xfdesktop-icon-view"

Offline

#10 2018-01-23 17:31:45

rolgiati
Member
From: Asuncion, Paraguay
Registered: 2013-06-08
Posts: 22

Re: Changing the desktop icons text colour ? (SOLVED)

ToZ wrote:

That should work. Which appearance (gtk2) theme are you using?

Sorry, have no idea where to find that information.

ToZ wrote:

Also try changing the last line to this:

widget_class "*XfdesktopIconView*" style:highest "xfdesktop-icon-view"

Tried it, no change  ;-3(

Offline

#11 2018-01-23 18:17:12

ToZ
Moderator
From: Canada
Registered: 2011-06-02
Posts: 4,846

Re: Changing the desktop icons text colour ? (SOLVED)

Here is an easy way to get the theme name:

xfconf-query -c xsettings -p /Net/ThemeName

Are you logging in and out again to test it?

Also, can you create a second account on your computer and try this snippet with that account?

Offline

#12 2018-01-24 12:48:21

rolgiati
Member
From: Asuncion, Paraguay
Registered: 2013-06-08
Posts: 22

Re: Changing the desktop icons text colour ? (SOLVED)

ToZ wrote:

Here is an easy way to get the theme name:

xfconf-query -c xsettings -p /Net/ThemeName

Got it: Blue-Submarine

ToZ wrote:

Are you logging in and out again to test it?

Yes, tried with both pkill xfdesktop and logout - login

ToZ wrote:

Also, can you create a second account on your computer and try this snippet with that account?

Tried the snippet in another account, no change ;-3(

Offline

#13 2018-01-24 13:17:26

ToZ
Moderator
From: Canada
Registered: 2011-06-02
Posts: 4,846

Re: Changing the desktop icons text colour ? (SOLVED)

Does changing the appearance theme (Settings Manager > Appearance > Style) and restart xfdesktop (pkill xxfdesktop) make that snippet work?

Try this version:

style "my-xfdesktop-icon-view" {
    XfdesktopIconView::label-alpha = 0
    XfdesktopIconView::selected-label-alpha = 100
    XfdesktopIconVIew::ellipsize-icon-labels = 1

    XfdesktopIconView::shadow-x-offset = 1
    XfdesktopIconView::shadow-y-offset = 1
    XfdesktopIconView::shadow-color = "#000000"
    XfdesktopIconView::selected-shadow-x-offset = 1
    XfdesktopIconView::selected-shadow-y-offset = 1
    XfdesktopIconView::selected-shadow-color = "#000000"

    XfdesktopIconView::cell-spacing = 0
    XfdesktopIconView::cell-padding = 0
    XfdesktopIconView::cell-text-width-proportion = 2

    base[NORMAL]   	= "#b5b5b4"
    base[SELECTED] 	= "#b5b5b4"
    base[ACTIVE]   	= "#b5b5b4"

    fg[NORMAL]      = "#000000"
    fg[SELECTED]    = "#000000"
    fg[ACTIVE]      = "#000000"
}

widget_class "*XfdesktopIconView*" style "my-xfdesktop-icon-view"

Last edited by ToZ (2018-01-24 13:22:00)

Offline

#14 2018-02-03 20:19:40

rolgiati
Member
From: Asuncion, Paraguay
Registered: 2013-06-08
Posts: 22

Re: Changing the desktop icons text colour ? (SOLVED)

ToZ wrote:

Does changing the appearance theme (Settings Manager > Appearance > Style) and restart xfdesktop (pkill xxfdesktop) make that snippet work?

Try this version:

style "my-xfdesktop-icon-view" {
    XfdesktopIconView::label-alpha = 0
    XfdesktopIconView::selected-label-alpha = 100
    XfdesktopIconVIew::ellipsize-icon-labels = 1

    XfdesktopIconView::shadow-x-offset = 1
    XfdesktopIconView::shadow-y-offset = 1
    XfdesktopIconView::shadow-color = "#000000"
    XfdesktopIconView::selected-shadow-x-offset = 1
    XfdesktopIconView::selected-shadow-y-offset = 1
    XfdesktopIconView::selected-shadow-color = "#000000"

    XfdesktopIconView::cell-spacing = 0
    XfdesktopIconView::cell-padding = 0
    XfdesktopIconView::cell-text-width-proportion = 2

    base[NORMAL]   	= "#b5b5b4"
    base[SELECTED] 	= "#b5b5b4"
    base[ACTIVE]   	= "#b5b5b4"

    fg[NORMAL]      = "#000000"
    fg[SELECTED]    = "#000000"
    fg[ACTIVE]      = "#000000"
}

widget_class "*XfdesktopIconView*" style "my-xfdesktop-icon-view"

Sorry for the delay; HD on the box where I test PCLOS went belly-up, took couple week to have another sent to Darkest Paraguay.
Tried the above, it worked !
My thanks to all who gave their time to help me out.

Offline

Board footer

Powered by FluxBB