Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-10-21 21:59:29

Mozai

xfce panel launcher: how to change tooltip size?

Recently upgraded XFCE4 to v4.13 and the panel widget "launcher" is behaving differently.

Before, the tooltip icons were 32x32. Now they are 16x16, and I'm unable to change their sizes.

https://docs.xfce.org/xfce/xfce4-panel/launcher says "You can set a custom menu and tooltip icon size in gtk-icon-sizes with the name panel-launcher-menu and panel-launcher-tooltip."  But I do not know where "in gtk-icon-sizes" is.  Is this a program I should have installed with XFCE?  is this the name of a key in some key-value store?  a field in a database?  A line in a configuration file?

The webpage mentioned above says I should read https://docs.xfce.org/xfce/xfce4-panel/theming , but there is no mention of "gtk-icon-sizes" there.  I tried adding the line "gtk-icon-sizes="panel-launcher-menu=32,32:panel-launcher-tooltip=32,32" " to my ~/.gtkrc-2.0 file, and `xfce4-panel -r` to reload, but this did not change the size of xfce-panel-launcher tooltips.

I tried launching xfce4-settings-editor, finding xsettings > Gtk > IconSizes, and adding the text "panel-launcher-menu=32x32 panel-launcher-tooltip=32x32" and reloading the xfce panel, but this did not change the icon sizes either.

I'm at a loss as to how to follow the instruction "set a custom menu and tooltip icon size in gtk-icon-sizes".  I hope someone can tell me how to use this instruction to effect a change.

#2 2018-10-21 22:54:10

ToZ
Administrator

Re: xfce panel launcher: how to change tooltip size?

Hello and welcome.

xfce4-panel 4.13 is GTK3 based, so all the information in the documentation that you linked (that is related to GTK2) is no longer valid. This documentation still has to be updated.

Specific to your problem, I think you should create a bug report. Icon handling in the panel was changed during the migration to GTK3 and this piece may have been overlooked or not changed yet.

Just noticed this bug report. If this is not yours, you might want to add your info to it.

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

#3 2018-10-21 23:13:33

denyer
Website

Re: xfce panel launcher: how to change tooltip size?

Some settings can be specified in ~/.config/gtk-3.0/settings.ini but it doesn't look like gtk-icon-sizes is one of them. It seems to have been deprecated/removed since 3.10 according to most search engine hits, so it would presumably take the launcher plugin authors adding a setting instead (or a custom build).

Board footer