Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-12-31 00:35:32

Skaperen

cannot logout from xfce

existing users that transitioned to xfce could not logout.  i just created a new user that has never existed before.  it cannot logout, either.  the window asking "Are you sure you want to close all programs and log out?" comes up.  i click "Log Out".  nothing more happens for two minutes,  then i switch back to user "forums" to read here.

edit:

here is the process stack traceback:

PID TTY      STAT   TIME COMMAND
14184 ?        Sl     0:00 /usr/bin/zenity --question --icon-name=system-log-out --title=Log Out --text=<big><b>Are you sure you want to close all programs and log ou
12934 ?        Ssl    0:00 /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/indicator-session/indicator-session-service
12919 ?        S      0:00 upstart --user --startup-event indicator-services-start
12445 ?        Ss     0:00 /sbin/upstart --user
12422 ?        Sl     0:00 lightdm --session-child 35 38
 1007 ?        Ssl    0:00 /usr/sbin/lightdm
    1 ?        Ss     0:02 /sbin/init splash

Last edited by Skaperen (2018-12-31 00:59:07)

#2 2018-12-31 00:45:06

ToZ
Administrator

Re: cannot logout from xfce

Skaperen wrote:

the window asking "Are you sure you want to close all programs and log out?" comes up.

That doesn't sound like Xfce session manager. Is xfce4-session running or is the Unity session manager running?

ps -ef | grep -i session

...and:

env | grep XDG_SESSION_DESKTOP

Does the new user have an ~/.dmrc file and/or what does their file look like in the AccountsService folder?

EDIT: I think you are using the unity session indicator to log out. Recall how I said that the Unity indicators will be problematic? I suggested you remove the indicator plugin from the panel so that it removes all of these unnecessary plugins.

Try logging out using the menu or the Actions plugin (if you added it to the panel).

Last edited by ToZ (2018-12-31 00:50:23)

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

#3 2018-12-31 01:15:09

Skaperen

it may well be running the unity indicator thing.  does xfce have something that drops down with the gear icon?  how do you logout normally in xfce?  can you do some screenshots that show?

#4 2018-12-31 01:22:11

ToZ
Administrator

The Action Buttons plugin. By default, it displays the users name. When you click on the name it offers options to shutdown, suspend, etc.

Or, you can use the Applications Menu which should have a logout option.

Or you can use the Whisker Menu which also has a logout option.

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find

#5 2018-12-31 03:24:32

Skaperen

ok, logout should be easy enough to do.  switching to other users was the important thing under the gear icon.  that is a critical activity that needs to be there for the move to xfce to go forward.  something that can be labeled and run my script is a viable way to do this.

a document more thoroughly describing these plugin choices would be helpful.

Last edited by Skaperen (2018-12-31 03:26:48)

#6 2018-12-31 03:33:55

ToZ
Administrator

Skaperen wrote:

a document more thoroughly describing these plugin choices would be helpful.

Try here (see plugins section) and here.

#7 2018-12-31 09:01:09

Skaperen

then i want to learn how to write one in Python3.  but if doing it in C is necessary, i can do that.  i want to make a "switch user" plugin.  it would have a drop menu of users, both configured permanent users and other users that are logged in at that time would be choices.  or maybe i can integrate it with the Workspace Switcher.

Last edited by Skaperen (2018-12-31 09:06:15)

#8 2018-12-31 20:13:12

Skaperen

ToZ wrote:

Does the new user have an ~/.dmrc file and/or what does their file look like in the AccountsService folder?

no.  but the old users that were used under unity do.  they are all identical...

[Desktop]
Session=ubuntu

they are old; one dated in 2014.

ToZ wrote:

EDIT: I think you are using the unity session indicator to log out. Recall how I said that the Unity indicators will be problematic? I suggested you remove the indicator plugin from the panel so that it removes all of these unnecessary plugins.

i could use its user switcher.  if i avoid them for all other purposes, might that be good enough until i get another user switcher going?

ToZ wrote:

Try logging out using the menu or the Actions plugin (if you added it to the panel).

i could not find a menu so i added the action plugin.  it displays the username on the panel, a plus.  its logout works but switches to user "admin" instead of the greeter.

Board footer