Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-01-02 04:52:40

Skaperen

bash does not source .bashrc when started under Xfce

bash does not source .bashrc when started under Xfce (under xfce4-terminal)

when i run either gnome-terminal or xfce4-terminal under Unity, then bash does source the .bashrc file as expected and intended.

i have not yet thoroughly investigated this. in all cases bash is being started with no options.  so it must be an environment setting that is doing this to bash.  i'm not asking for anyone to investigate it, but rather, checking to see if this is a known issue.

edit:

i cannot explain this but as i was trying to diagnose the problem, it started working.  thus, i can no longer reproduce this problem.  this can be good and bad at the same time.  it is good because i can move forward.  it is bad because there is a failure mode that is not resolved.

Last edited by Skaperen (2019-01-02 07:35:22)

#2 2019-01-02 11:43:52

ToZ
Administrator

Re: bash does not source .bashrc when started under Xfce

From "man bash":

When an interactive shell that is not a login shell  is  started,  bash
       reads  and executes commands from ~/.bashrc, if that file exists.  This
       may be inhibited by using the --norc option.  The --rcfile file  option
       will  force  bash  to  read  and  execute commands from file instead of
       ~/.bashrc.

You can specify whether or not to use a login shell in xfce4-terminal's Preferences > General > Command section > Run command as login shell.

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

#3 2019-01-02 19:35:47

Skaperen

Re: bash does not source .bashrc when started under Xfce

it is running bash, which is my login shell.  i just don't know why bash was not processing the .bashrc file and why it started doing it after i did some diagnosing.  maybe i changed something, but i didn't undid all that i did (put some echo commands in .bashrc to see if it was partially running.  when it started working, i took them back out and even restored the file (every user uses an exact identical copy) to be sure.

Board footer