Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-02-12 13:56:12

Jean

Use catfish with tracker ?

Dear XFCE forum,

I was used to use the Gnome environnement since some time, but I just switched to XFCE since some days because of the lack of memory of my 4Gb only laptop ... Everything works fine as expected now !

Regarding the search tools, I stay frustrated by catfish : none of my search criteria show me the right files I search, but the same search under Gnome worked as expected (before switching to XFCE) !

After some time spent on Google, it seems that Catfish use only slocate and find as underlying search tools, and gnome-search-tools use tracker/zeitgeist.

So, how can I either explain to Catfishb to use tracker too, or to use my old gnome-like search tool ?

Many thanks in advance to all of You,
Regards,
Jean

#2 2019-02-12 19:33:47

alcornoqui

Re: Use catfish with tracker ?

Jean wrote:

because of the lack of memory of my 4Gb only laptop ... Everything works fine as expected now !

Yeah, I should know about that, I own a couple of netbooks with 1 and 2Gb and Xfce makes them functional if not great. Plus, we have a great and friendly forum, welcome!

Jean wrote:

Regarding the search tools, I stay frustrated by catfish : none of my search criteria show me the right files I search, but the same search under Gnome worked as expected (before switching to XFCE) !

After some time spent on Google, it seems that Catfish use only slocate and find as underlying search tools, and gnome-search-tools use tracker/zeitgeist.

Strange... In this box (MX-18), Catfish has mlocate|locate as recommended packages (not straight dependencies), and gnome-search-tool doesn't have a tracker|zeitgeist dependency.

Could it be that you were using tracker-gui or gnome-documents? What's your distro?

Jean wrote:

So, how can I either explain to Catfish to use tracker too, or to use my old gnome-like search tool?

According to the docs, Catfish can use Zeitgeist:

Features
    Minimalistic, GTK+3 interface
    Search suggestions, powered by Zeitgeist and locate

Optional
    Zeitgeist, for recent search suggestions

Anyway, you could just install gnome-search-tool (or gnome-documents, or tracker-gui, or my favorite search tool, Recoll), couldn't you?

#3 2019-02-12 22:01:33

Jean

Dear alcornoqui,

Thank You for your reply ! After some searchs, the package tracker-gui doesn't exist anymore on Xubuntu ... Nor the tracker plugin for the xfce panel ... I found that Zeitgeist is not used by Catfish for extracting datas but only for temporal search, which is not what I'm looking for. Recoll seems to me being to much for only searching files and contents ? The only couple of softwares that could work together would be tracker and Catfish, but I dunno how to do the configuration ...

Maybe somebody could help ? Many thanks !

#4 2019-02-13 00:22:34

alcornoqui

I see there's an open feature request for Tracker integration into Catfish, and the project is very much alive, with a new version recently published so you might get what you want soon.

Can you post some examples of unsuccessful searches in Catfish? I guess you have tried the different options, is it a missing feature or more like buggy behavior?

Board footer