Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-04-28 15:48:28

brvcf

Icon 'capture area'

I find that frequently when I go to move something on the Desktop I apparently get it too close to something else and XFCE 'does me a favor' and assumes I'm trying to drop it in to the something else.

For example I have a pdf document on the Desktop. I want it to remain on the Desktop but I want it next to the Home folder instead of some other place, so I click and drag to move it. I do not purposely 'drop' it in to the Home folder, but if I just get a little too close to the Home folder, when I unclick, it gets moved in to the folder anyway.

So for lack of a better term, it seems like the 'capture area' or 'gravity' of the Home folder or whatever I get too close to grabs what I am intending to just move on the Desktop. Maybe this is related to icon spacing but it's not icon spacing per se. I'm not looking to get icons closer together, just prevent things dropping in to something else when I get too close.

BTW, I'm using Mint XFCE 18 & 19.

#2 2019-04-28 18:28:31

lastonestanding

Re: Icon 'capture area'

Before the 4.12 release xfdesktop was able to indicate when a drop action would occur. This was done by highlighting the icon and also drawing a box around it.

There is a open request to restore this functionality: https://bugzilla.xfce.org/show_bug.cgi?id=12695

Board footer