Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-08-15 13:33:21

beje

problem by poweroff in ssh in xfce4-terminal

Hi there XFCE people!

I have a problem with the xfce4-terminal and I am looking for the right way forward. The problem is as follows: from xfce4-terminal I have ssh-ed into a host which I want to poweroff (or restart). The command is executed properly and the host is powered off but the terminal is not returning the control.... actually I cannot do anything with it. Ctrl+C, Ctrl+D, Esc are not functioning...

Can I try something else? Should I report a bug?

Distro is Xubuntu 19.04 with XFCE 4.12 and xfce4-terminal version 0.8.7.4

Thanks!

#2 2019-08-16 02:09:11

ToZ
Administrator

Re: problem by poweroff in ssh in xfce4-terminal

Sounds like the remote server isn't properly releasing the connection. Does this thread help?

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

#3 2019-08-17 09:45:18

beje

thans man! the 3rd answer with enabling the ssh-session-cleanup.service on the target machine functioned! I just restarted the machine and the terminal gave me back the control.

for reference purpose: the target machine is running Debian Stretch, more specific OpenMediaVault 4, with Kernel: 4.19.0-0.bpo.5-amd64 and the topic had in the end nothing to do with the xfce4-terminal big_smile

Thanks once more!

#4 2019-08-18 00:14:01

Skaperen

another option is to use the ssh escape feature.  it works with an escape character which defaults to '~' (i changed mine to '\'.  to work, it must be the next character after a newline.  then the next character tells ssh what you want to do.  character '.' means to disconnect.  so press Enter, then '~', then '.', and it should disconnect.  it will do this at any time in your session.  if you ssh to where you run an ssh client, you might want to set a different escape character on each.  search for "ESCAPE" (in upper case) in the ssh client man page for the full details.

Board footer