Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2020-04-27 15:40:37

vls-xy

vs-code-insiders crashes when opened through whisker-menu

I ran into a peculiar Problem which I am a bit unclear on how to solve.

I am using xfce4 on archlinux and am now crashing my whole desktop when starting "visual-studio code insiders" from the whisker-menu-plugin.

Everything was working fine, until at some point my desktop crashed when using visual studio code. Since then I am only able to open the application through the xfce4-terminal.

When I say "crashed" i can still move the mouse, but not click any buttons. I am able to stop xfce4 using ctrl-alt-bksp as I added the follwoing startup command:
"setxkbmap -option terminate:ctrl_alt_bksp".

I am using the following versions:
xfce4 4.14
xfce4-whiskermenu-plugin 2.4.4
"visual-studio code insiders" 1.44

any pointers on how to debug this would be appreciated.

#2 2020-04-27 16:09:47

vls-xy

Re: vs-code-insiders crashes when opened through whisker-menu

after closing vs-code started from terminal. Now when I tried to start from whiskermenu again it does not crash. However: i'm watching the output of "dmesg -w" on another terminal. It seems that starting vs-code from whiskermenu produces a segfault: SGI_video_sync, however starting it from xfce-terminal it does not.

#3 2020-04-27 16:52:33

ToZ
Administrator

Hello and welcome.

Since then I am only able to open the application through the xfce4-terminal.

How are you executing the program? Are you using the same command as is in the .desktop file?

/opt/visual-studio-code-insiders/code-insiders --no-sandbox --new-window

If not, trying running that on the command line to see if you get any error messages.

Also, do you have an ~/.xsession-errors file? If so, can you post back the results on a fresh login and then again after you try to start the program from the menu?

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

#4 2020-04-27 18:30:39

vls-xy

Hey,

thanks for the quick reply! As I mentioned, i'm not able to recreate my original problem. The desktop does not seem to halt, and the only thing I did in the meantime was to start code-insiders from the terminal.

When i start it from the terminal all i type is:

code-insiders 

I'm unable to find a .desktop file, so i'm not sure which command whiskermenu uses. Typing

/opt/visual-studio-code-insiders/code-insiders --no-sandbox --new-window 

produces the same result as starting from terminal normally. Although i do get the following console output:
"Warning: 'sandbox' is not in the list of known options, but still passed to Electron/Chromium."

I start xfce4 by hand on login, so when i log the .xsession-errors the only difference starting code-insiders through whiskermenu is
"[90m[main 2020-04-27T18:18:02.048Z][0m update#ctor - updates are disabled by user preference" which probably refers to an update setting i had turned off.

Since my system is running fine now (although I dont know why) I'm content. It is still puzzling behaviour... it'd be nice to know the actual starting command whiskermenu uses.

Thanks for the help.

#5 2020-04-27 19:41:36

ToZ
Administrator

vls-xy wrote:

it'd be nice to know the actual starting command whiskermenu uses.

Look at the relevant .desktop file in /usr/share/applications (IIRC, visual-studio-code-insiders.desktop). The command will be on the "Exec=" line. I quoted the command above from the install on my arch box.

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

#6 2020-04-28 06:44:13

vls-xy

For me it is

Exec=/opt/visual-studio-code-insiders/code-insiders %f

maybe %f was pointing to a corrupt file. I was doing a visual studio code live share at the time it crashed. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction for the "*.desktop" files. I was looking for a single file named ".desktop".

All the best.

Board footer