Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2020-04-28 15:13:03

hdev

Terminal Configuration - XFCE Configuration [SOLVED]

Hi folks,
my real problem is I wasn't able to find out the right google search key to find the answer by myself, that's why I'm here now.

My question is about how to configure the terminal to bypass windows in the background and have just the Desktop backgound as terminal "background"(transparent terminal background).
I've seen this done in BlackArch Linux and want to configure my daily-use desktop as I discovered.

To better explain what I aim to do image that:
If i have a browser open window (no fullscreen) and a terminal window(transparent), I can see the Desktop Background through terminal transparency, then if move the terminal window to overlap the browser window, in my terminal I always see the Desktop Background - no browser's window interference.
This is what I want to configure in my daily-use OS.
Can someone gently tell me how to properly configure that behaviour?

Environment infos:
terminal: terminator 1.92
desktop environment: Xfce4
window manager: Xfwm4

Last edited by hdev (2020-04-29 15:36:32)

#2 2020-04-28 19:09:46

alcornoqui

Re: Terminal Configuration - XFCE Configuration [SOLVED]

In How to make Terminator transparent? a user complains that:

this way you get a composite transparent terminal (shows desktop), Is there some way to enable regular transparent terminal?

It sounds to me that "a composite transparent terminal (shows desktop)" is what you want, is it?

edit: Welcome to the forum!

Last edited by alcornoqui (2020-04-28 19:10:19)

#3 2020-04-29 08:10:39

hdev

Thanks alcornoqui!

You didn't answer my question but you have pointed me out that what I'm aiming to do is wrong.
I mean, setting a background image (w transparency) in the terminal is what I want in the end, instead of configuring the terminal to "bypass background windows" that may be conceptually wrong!

Thank you a lot!

#4 2020-04-29 11:43:38

alcornoqui

That's great. For completion, I'll add that, like Terminator, the Xfce Terminal has a similar setting, documented here.
terminal-preferences-appearance.png

Tip: You can edit the title and prepend [SOLVED] to help when searching.

Board footer