Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2023-06-11 12:14:10

niminopa

Hiding workspaces from the panel that have no running applications?

Is there any way I can differentiate just by looking at the panel and the workspaces on it that which one has running applications?
For example in i3-wm by default i3-bar only shows the workspaces that has something running on them and it is really helpful when I use like 5 or 6 out of the 10 workspaces and I want to deploy another application on a unused workspace. I couldn't find any solution to this

#2 2023-06-11 15:32:00

ToZ
Administrator

Re: Hiding workspaces from the panel that have no running applications?

Hello and welcome.

niminopa wrote:

Is there any way I can differentiate just by looking at the panel and the workspaces on it that which one has running applications?

There are two plugin options here:

• The "Workspace Switcher" applet will provider a miniature overview of the different workspaces and apps running on it. If a workspace has no running apps, it will display as blank. There is an option to only show a button (no preview) but it will show all workspaces.

• The "Window Menu" plugin displays as one button on the panel with a dropdown that lists running applications on each workspace.

For example in i3-wm by default i3-bar only shows the workspaces that has something running on them and it is really helpful when I use like 5 or 6 out of the 10 workspaces and I want to deploy another application on a unused workspace. I couldn't find any solution to this

So conditional workspaces (display only if contains a running app)? The closest you can get to this is the Window Menu plugin with Workspace Names turned off.

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

Board footer