Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#26 2023-08-09 21:05:20

forcedtopicksomething

Re: Why does my xfce4-panel keep crashing and immediately respawning itsel

CwF wrote:

Don't forget to throw out the stubborn and test variations in themes and panels.

Don't know what you mean by this. But I don't have any weird things in my taskbar/panel.

#27 2023-08-14 15:04:52

forcedtopicksomething

Does anyone know what I can do to make this stop? It's driving me insane. And there is no rhyme or reason to it, either; I've tried to reliably reproduce/provoke it many times, but it doesn't seem at all related to anything I'm doing. Just happens on its own for no reason. Maddening.

#28 2023-08-14 16:49:43

mint4all

forcedtopicksomething wrote:

Does anyone know what I can do to make this stop? It's driving me insane. And there is no rhyme or reason to it, either; I've tried to reliably reproduce/provoke it many times, but it doesn't seem at all related to anything I'm doing. Just happens on its own for no reason. Maddening.

In my prior post, I politely gave you a decent explanation and workaround, with no comment from you. So I'll try one last time ... First things first, ascertain that your hardware is stable: get a copy of Mint's latest .iso, burn it to a DVD or USB stick, then run your system from the live image for a while (24 hours) putting as much network & app-load on it as possible. If you'll do that and it passes ok, I'll explain the next steps.

Cheers, m4a

Linux Mint 21.2 -- xfce 4.18 ... Apple iMAC -- Dell & HP Desktops and Laptops -- Family & Community Support

#29 2023-08-14 16:54:49

forcedtopicksomething

mint4all wrote:

In my prior post, I politely gave you a decent explanation and workaround, with no comment from you. So I'll try one last time ... First things first, ascertain that your hardware is stable: get a copy of Mint's latest .iso, burn it to a DVD or USB stick, then run your system from the live image for a while (24 hours) putting as much network & app-load on it as possible. If you'll do that and it passes ok, I'll explain the next steps.

Cheers, m4a

It's clearly not a hardware problem. I can't block all computer usage for 24 hours to do such a pointless task, sorry...

#30 2023-08-14 17:07:06

CwF

mint4all wrote:

, then run your system from the live image for a while (24 hours)

Perhaps an overkill verification, but I haven't seen a report that a similar run has been done with a default/stock/unmodified them with rearranged and simplified panels.

Whatever is crashing it has not been changed as far as I see. That is a criticism of technique.

It does seem like Recommend=remove and recreate all panels themed with Adwaita. Answer=too much work.

#31 2023-08-15 14:39:37

mint4all

mint4all wrote:

Cheers, m4a

It's clearly not a hardware problem. I can't block all computer usage for 24 hours to do such a pointless task, sorry...

You maybe right with your "clearly not..." opinion, but you are missing my main point: to operate a fully-configured, confirmed-working, expert-built OS+DE in system-memory without any mods of the OS+DE you have on your HDD/SDD.

It should boot up in under a minute, will run 100% in system memory, and thus will bypass your HDD/SDD with all attendant cruft. Is the panel stable under the live-system's load? If unstable, likely due to faulty memory in the <2gb range. If stable, launch some memory-hungry apps (browser, office, vs-code etc); panel still stable? if now unstable, likely due to faulty memory in >2gb range. Running too hot, ie >85C? if so, thermal problems. Then you can take it from by mounting disks/volumes ... While you're at it, take a snapshot of the system's process tree ("pstree") and later compare  it with your debian-built system to track down init/racing problems.

What have you got to lose?
Cheers,m4a

Last edited by mint4all (2023-08-15 14:55:42)

Linux Mint 21.2 -- xfce 4.18 ... Apple iMAC -- Dell & HP Desktops and Laptops -- Family & Community Support

Board footer