Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2023-09-14 14:08:19

buhtz
Website

Missing systray icons for OwnCloud and NextCloud

I don't see the icons of my NextCloud and OwnCloud clients in my systray.

See this image for a first illustration and some details about the environment.
medium

In the terminal window you see that own- and nextcloud clients are still running in the system. The rest of the terminal you see version information about Debian 12 and XFCE.

In the upper right you see the systray with a clock, button to reboot and shutdown, etc.
There is also an invisible (empty) "StatusNotifier Plugin" in that systray. You can see that in the taskbar settings dialog (second from left). I would expect that own/nextlcoud would appear there.

I know there is an "alternative" to the statusnotifier plugin. Here in the screenshot you can see it in the window left grayed out (disabled) with its German name "Status Tray-Erweiterung" (English maybe: status tray extension). But it is disabled.

I don't care which extension or plugin I do use. But I need the icons in the systray to have status information about the cloud/nextcloud.

Any idea how to solve this?

EDIT: The StatusNotifier do have a Configuration dialog with two tabs "Order" and "Visibility" where entries should appear. But even this lists are empty. So it is not the case that there are just the icons missing.

Last edited by buhtz (2023-09-14 14:10:30)

#2 2023-09-15 00:21:16

ToZ
Administrator

Re: Missing systray icons for OwnCloud and NextCloud

Don't use the Status Notifier plugin - its deprecated. Remove it from the tray. The Status Tray Plugin (already added to your plugin) should work and it should be listed there. You may need to restart the panel:

xfce4-panel -r

...after removing the Status Notifier for the it to be recognized by the Status Tray plugin.

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

#3 2023-09-15 07:01:28

buhtz
Website

Ah I see the Status Tray plugin still was there. I haven't seen it. That is why it was disabled in the "Add to" list.

OK, but it does not solve the problem.

I also killed the *cloud processes and then started them via the XFCE-StartMenu. The icons do not appear. I also tried with and without "request symbolic icons" (don't know what this means).

But they do appear in the "known elements" list.

medium

#4 2023-09-15 10:20:34

ToZ
Administrator

Try running this:

xfce4-panel -q
PANEL_DEBUG=1 xfce4-panel

...and post back the output. Lets see if running xfce4-panel in debug mode might help identify the issue.

I installed the owncloud client in my Debian 12 VM and it did show up in the panel. How did you install owncloud? Its not in the default repositories. Did you add the owncloud repository and install from there? Or did you build it from source?

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find

#5 2023-09-15 10:44:13

buhtz
Website

Thanks for taking your time with my issue.

ToZ wrote:

Try running this:

xfce4-panel -q
PANEL_DEBUG=1 xfce4-panel

...and post back the output.

Sorry, but restarting xfce4-panel in Debug mode brings the icons back. They are there.
But everytime I do reboot the icons are not in there.

I should but in a delay until own/nextcloud clients start to give the panel a bit more time?

But I don't know where to find the XFCE autostart file.

ToZ wrote:

I installed the owncloud client in my Debian 12 VM and it did show up in the panel. How did you install owncloud? Its not in the default repositories. Did you add the owncloud repository and install from there? Or did you build it from source?

It is in Bookworm.

$ apt-cache policy owncloud-client
owncloud-client:
  Installiert:           2.11.0.8354+dfsg-1+b1
  Installationskandidat: 2.11.0.8354+dfsg-1+b1
  Versionstabelle:
 *** 2.11.0.8354+dfsg-1+b1 500
        500 http://deb.debian.org/debian bookworm/main arm64 Packages
        100 /var/lib/dpkg/status

See also the package tracker.

#6 2023-09-15 11:23:04

ToZ
Administrator

buhtz wrote:

Sorry, but restarting xfce4-panel in Debug mode brings the icons back. They are there.
But everytime I do reboot the icons are not in there.

Now that is odd. Try clearing out your saved sessions cache first. Delete the contents of ~/.cache/sessions before you log into Xfce.

But I don't know where to find the XFCE autostart file.

If you have it launching at startup, the autostart file (.desktop file) will be located in ~/.config/autostart.

#7 2023-09-15 11:58:40

buhtz
Website

ToZ wrote:

Now that is odd. Try clearing out your saved sessions cache first. Delete the contents of ~/.cache/sessions before you log into Xfce.

OK, I did. This doesn't change the problem.

ToZ wrote:

~/.config/autostart.

I experimented with the settings in that files.
First I modified "Exec" like that: "Exec=sleep 15 && /usr/bin/owncloud"
Then I set "StartupNotify" and to "true" (was "false" before).
I also increased "X-GNOME-Autostart-Delay=10" to "30".

No effect. btw: Based on my experiments I would say that "X-GNOME-Autostart-Delay" is ignored in XFCE.

EDIT: The sleep command should be

Exec=bash -c "sleep 15 && /usr/bin/owncloud"

This sleep works but the icons are not shown up.

Did I mentioned in the beginning that I'm using XRDP? I login in to that machine via XRDP. Might this be a problem?

Maybe I should somehow automatically restart the xfce4-panel everytime on logging into XFCE? big_smile Because the icons do appear after restart. Really this works. Can I automate that somehow?

Last edited by buhtz (2023-09-15 12:35:23)

#8 2023-09-15 15:54:28

ToZ
Administrator

buhtz wrote:

Did I mentioned in the beginning that I'm using XRDP? I login in to that machine via XRDP. Might this be a problem?

Possibly. What command do you have in ~/.xsession?

Maybe I should somehow automatically restart the xfce4-panel everytime on logging into XFCE? big_smile Because the icons do appear after restart. Really this works. Can I automate that somehow?

You can create a new startup entry that restarts the panel (Settings Manager > Session and Startup > Application Startup).

#9 2023-09-15 19:06:30

buhtz
Website

ToZ wrote:

What command do you have in ~/.xsession?

This file does not exist.

ToZ wrote:

You can create a new startup entry that restarts the panel (Settings Manager > Session and Startup > Application Startup).

Good idea. Currently I have  a "starter" icon in the panel for that. wink

#10 2023-09-15 20:21:12

ToZ
Administrator

buhtz wrote:
ToZ wrote:

What command do you have in ~/.xsession?

This file does not exist.

How did you setup xrdp? Which instructions did you follow?

#11 2023-09-16 06:46:14

buhtz
Website

ToZ wrote:

How did you setup xrdp? Which instructions did you follow?

I just installed it (in Debian 12) via "sudo apt install xrdp". I reboot (sorry old Windows habbits) because of systemd. And then it works. No configuration needed. It picks up the one and only installed DE XFCE.

Board footer