Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2023-09-15 16:49:41

speerwerfer

Change the window size with the mouse

I use arch linux and xfce 4.18.
When i want to resize a window with the mouse, i try to click on one of the 4 corners of the window and then resize the window.
For me the area in the corners where I can click the window to enlarge is too small. I always have to mouse over the corners several times to change to this mode.

Is it possible to enlarge this area in the corners of the window?

#2 2023-09-15 16:57:17

eight.bit.al

Re: Change the window size with the mouse

A common question.

A different theme will change the window border.

Try:

<ALT> key and left mouse button to move window.
<ALT>key right mouse button to resize window. Where the mouse is when starting effects how the window will resize.

HTH

2³bit

Last edited by eight.bit.al (2023-09-15 16:59:46)

Fight against surveillance capitalism.

#3 2023-09-15 19:42:14

speerwerfer

OK, I didn't realize this was a feature of the theme. Thanks for the info. Can you modify an existing theme?

And I didn't know the shortcuts for the mouse control. Thank you.

#4 2023-09-15 22:55:17

eight.bit.al

speerwerfer wrote:

Can you modify an existing theme?

Yes; and at one time I was going to learn how but I found the key/mouse combo so convenient, even quicker than landing on the fattest border, I never did. I'm sure someone here can explain how.

Move the whole window with the key/left mouse 'till the upper left window corner is where you want it; mouse to anywhere in the the lower right corner of the window and key/right mouse to resize the window in both height and width.

Edit: Plus it's fairly universal for most Desktop Environments, so once you develop the muscle memory (habit), you're at home on almost any computer.

Thank you.

You're welcome.

2³bit

Last edited by eight.bit.al (2023-09-15 23:56:06)

Fight against surveillance capitalism.

#5 2023-09-16 07:32:39

speerwerfer

You are probably right, to change the windows with the key combination is very fast and simple

Last edited by speerwerfer (2023-09-16 07:33:38)

#6 2023-09-16 14:54:42

CwF

The only issue with ALT is it's not available when the window to resize is in a vm guest since the key is trapped and applicable to the host.

For the most part with a slightly tweaked simple Adwaita theme the corners are easy to grab. I also enlarge the scrollbars which seem out of fashion.

#7 2023-09-16 20:11:55

speerwerfer

CwF wrote:

For the most part with a slightly tweaked simple Adwaita theme the corners are easy to grab. I also enlarge the scrollbars which seem out of fashion.

Is there a tutorial about how to customize a theme

#8 2023-09-16 21:51:41

CwF

speerwerfer wrote:

Is there a tutorial about how to customize a theme

Not that I know of. I started on the idea back in Debian 10 or 11 after looking to simplify the OS images that I use. Stripped of packages I found there was no listed themes and in experimentation discovered my way of doing it. So I started collecting css info whenever I ran across it. On this forum there is the bulk of it scattered in many post. ToZ has tackled many request and there are a few sharp contributors here, so search gtk, css, gtk-3.0, etc.

Essentially, you can simply copy a complete theme and rename it. Chop it up and make it yours. Using root you can do the edits in this theme located in /usr/share/themes. It will be global for all users and switchable with XFCE's normal selection dialog. Just toggle between themes to make the new edits show. Simpler than a user ~/.config/gtk-3.0 directory where you need to log off/on to see changes. The global route makes the explore process faster.

Other settings like scale, dpi, and window manager 'Style' do all play together. With some search and reading you'll find many answers.

$  ls /usr/share/themes
 Adwaita        Adwaita-light   Daloa     Default-hdpi    Emacs    Moheli   Smoke
 Adwaita-dark   Bright          Default   Default-xhdpi   Kokodi   Retro   'ZOMG-PONIES!'
$  ls /usr/share/themes/Adwaita-dark
gtk-3.0  index.theme
$  ls -sh /usr/share/themes/Adwaita-dark/gtk-3.0
total 12K
4.0K gtk.css  4.0K gtk-widgets.css  4.0K xfce.css

simple and small

Board footer