Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2023-07-18 07:42:04

e7ethan

Whisker Menu Windows 7 theming

Hi, I am a total beginner at Linux (and XFCE), having only recently installed it last week. I really like the general look and fell of Windows 7, and have managed to customise everything (panel, desktop, icons, sounds, etc...) but not the whiskermenu plugin. I dont need it to look exactly like the windows 7 one, I just want the colours, although a full menu theme would he great. Any help?

#2 2023-07-18 15:45:42

ToZ
Administrator

Re: Whisker Menu Windows 7 theming

Hello and welcome.

Assuming that this is what you are referring to with respect to the Windows 7 menu, you won't be able to get it perfect, but you might be able to get the colours right. This also depends on the version of the Whisker Menu that you are running.

To test, try adding the following code to ~/.config/gtk-3.0/gtk.css (create the file if it doesn't exist):

.title-area image {margin-left: 325px}
#whiskermenu-window grid {background-image: linear-gradient(#92a6c1,#434d57,#a6beda)}
.contents label {color: white}

You might need to tweak some of those values to suit.

You also need to make sure that in the properties of the Whisker Menu:
- General > Show application descriptions is disabled
- Appearance > Position search entry next to panel button (enabled)
- Appearance > Position commands next to search entry (enabled)

Screenshot:
w7menu2.png

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

#3 2023-07-18 19:30:19

e7ethan

Thanks, that helped a lot, and I managed to (using another tutorial) get the user picture to stick out the top. Looks fabulous now!

#4 2023-07-18 19:48:42

Bamber

It does look good. smile

#5 2023-10-16 09:32:33

Compositoron

Bit older thread but following link is of great use to anyone that is on gtk based desktop:
https://github.com/B00merang-Project/Azurra_framework

I found them by chance while editing some themes.
They have premade themes for few desktops including xfce.....and they have variety of windows themes.

And if you get into theme making that framework is quite straight forward, saves lot of time.

Couple that with info provided by Toz and others so far...and you will not need to download as many themes as you did before smile

Last edited by Compositoron (2023-10-16 09:33:19)

Board footer