Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2023-08-04 17:11:51

makem

Keep my existing /home and desktop when upgrading xubuntu

My existing dual boot xubuntu/windows has a separate /home partition, /swap and a /data partition, along with the partitions windows installs and uses xfce desktop.

The above is on one nvme ssd and a second nvme ssd has a /games folder.

If I take the live usb ubuntu option and install 23.04 will I be able to keep my /home partition and desktop?

#2 2023-08-13 01:29:41

BenyaminL
Website

Re: Keep my existing /home and desktop when upgrading xubuntu

I think better you move between upgrade with ubuntu upgrade path, and land to 23.04. I been doing this in the past, and it's better.

If you ask is it possible, yes but make sure that all other partition is... on different location, and rewrite the /etc/fstab before reboot after install, pointing /home to the old partition. If it's okay, you are good to go.

BUT MAKE SURE TO DO BACKUP... I REPEAT, DO BACKUP!

de facto need to read : https://access.redhat.com/documentation … 0directory.

#3 2023-10-28 18:34:03

Sideburns
Website

Re: Keep my existing /home and desktop when upgrading xubuntu

I don't personally use Ubuntu, but I do know that it's quite easy to upgrade an existing installation, meaning that /home is preserved.  If you really want or need to do things this way, it's not hard to preserve /home although it does take a little bit of "do it yourself."  What you need to do is select a Custom Partitioning scheme instead of the easier Automatic.  Put all of your partitions in the same places and let all of them be reformatted, EXCEPT FOR /home.  Tell the installation program not to reformat that, then, when you create your first user, give it the same name you used before and tell it not to blow away your existing files.  That will keep your home folder intact, just as you want.

Registered Linux user #470359
Permanently recovered BOFH
Any advice in this post is worth exactly what you paid for it.

Board footer