Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2023-12-18 23:52:29

Jerry3904

cursor blinking

This is, admittedly, somewhat marginal for this Forum...

We are about to start testing an RC1 for the MX-23 Raspberry Pi Respin using Xfce 4.18. Three RPi devices will be able to use it: Pi 4, Pi 400 and the brand new Pi 5 (also provisionally the Orange Pi 5).

The respin runs flawlessly on the first two, but on the Pi 5 when conkies are enabled (of which we have a large curated collection) the cursor begins to blink on both test machines. We enable in our Bookworm Xfce version xfwm4 by default. Disabling it or switching to compton stops the flickering. It is not just us, as there are threads on the RPi and Debian Forums that have discussed this without finding a universal solution.

My question here: is there a (perhaps hidden) setting in xfwm4 that could be changed to attempt to rectify this problem? I tried turning off the shadows under docks, b/c that feature is disabled by default in compton. Currently, our operating approach is just to bail: a topic in the documentation laying out options ranging from disabling conkies to getting a larger sd to compositor disabling/switching.

Any thoughts?

Last edited by Jerry3904 (2023-12-19 12:14:02)

MX-23 (based on Debian Stable) with our flagship Xfce 4.18.

#2 2023-12-19 12:11:06

eriefisher

Re: cursor blinking

It's been sometime since I've even looked at Conky and I'm sure there have been many changes since. I remember a setting to get Conky to display properly in Xfce4. I think it was in the conky.rc and it was called "above desk" with a "yes" answer. I'll have to go back through my stuff and see if I have the old conky files.

Siduction
Debian Sid
Xfce 4.18

#3 2023-12-19 12:21:26

Jerry3904

Re: cursor blinking

Thanks for the comment. Conkies display properly on Xfce using xfwm everywhere we have included them, just not on this particular hardware--btw: switching monitors has not changed the problem.

Data point: the rudimentary xcompmgr, like compton, also does not show a blinking cursor.

MX-23 (based on Debian Stable) with our flagship Xfce 4.18.

Board footer