Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2024-01-05 19:49:41

skifter

In a pickle and need to config autostart via CLI

I'm in a bit of an awkward position and need to enable and disable what applications autostart for users remotely, and via CLI as I don't have enough bandwidth to contact users or enable remote desktop for all 20+ machines.

Looking through machines available at the moment, I just can't seem to find any reference to how these applications configured in each users ~/.config/autostart/ are being enabled or disabled. Can someone show me where to look?

These are XFCE mostly on Linux Mint 21.1

Many of them are unattended media player kiosks

#2 2024-01-05 22:05:23

StJimmy

Re: In a pickle and need to config autostart via CLI

One thing I could suggest would be:
If you have a distro running Xfce on your own machine, then see what happens when you copy a .desktop file that's enabled to someplace else, then disable that autostart item from the settings manager (so if e.g. 'foo.desktop' is enabled, copy that to e.g. '~/Documents', then disable the original item).  Compare the contents of both files to see what changed (eg. by manual comparison or running 'diff').
Then you could use something like 'sed s/[enabled line]/[disabled line]/' to modify or 'echo [line contents] >> autostartfile.desktop' to add the line that 'controls' the setting in each of your users' autostart files.

Last edited by StJimmy (2024-01-06 15:56:55)

Nanos gigantum humeris insidentes.

#3 2024-01-08 21:10:20

skifter

Re: In a pickle and need to config autostart via CLI

For anyone coming across this, I had it all wrong. in the .desktop file just set Hidden=false and it runs on boot. The problem I had was that the application was quietly failing making me think it just wasn't running at all.

Board footer