Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2024-01-08 11:10:15

mimocrocodil

What caused window controls bug? Kind of solved, but still IDK reason.

Hello, forum. I decided to try XFCE, used it for month and really liked it's balance of usability and minimalism.
After last OS reinstall I have installed applications I usually use in Linux, latest additions were Discord from deb packet and some mods on Rimworld (Steam installation).

After exiting Rimworld I have lost taskbar and all buttons to minimize/maximize windows. Not sure if Rimworld has anything to do with this situation, because same Rimworld mods installation ran from Windows, KDE or LXDE does nothing harmful.

Now I can not resize, minimize or maximize any application window, taskbar does nothing but holds place for menu button and clocks. Problem persists for 1 user, logging into XFCE with other username results in default XFCE environment.
Copying folders from .config resulted in same default look of 1st user environment, but did not brought back what is missing.

OK, I solved this problem by entering command xfwm4  in console. After this missing elements of taskbar and window controls returned. I still do not understand what was the reason behind this case.

uname output: 6.1.0-17-amd64 Debian 6.1.69-1 (2023-12-30) x86_64 GNU/Linux

Last edited by mimocrocodil (2024-01-08 11:47:50)

#2 2024-01-08 12:01:44

eriefisher

Re: What caused window controls bug? Kind of solved, but still IDK reason.

I have no idea what Rimworld is and I don't game so no Steam either.

My guess is that it either replaces Xfwm4 or runs on top. Either way Xfwm crashed or did start/restart. You should be able to see something in /home/user/.xsession-errors as to what happened.

Siduction
Debian Sid
Xfce 4.18

#3 2024-01-09 18:51:43

mimocrocodil

Re: What caused window controls bug? Kind of solved, but still IDK reason.

Sadly this file and it's old version contain nothing on XFCE. I tried LXDE and KDE after the bug and those DE spammed xsession-errors with their reports.

Board footer