Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2024-02-15 12:20:36

farmare

[SOLVED]how to change xfce new adwaita icon from 4.16+

is there a way to change these new adwaita style icons from 4.16 and later? i'm using flexicons-blue and those new icons do not match, i don't want to use another icon theme like elementary-xfce which do support these new xfce icons but i just don't like elementary icon theme, i tried to use both flexicons and elementary but i ended up breaking them both and fixing the icons themes.

by the way i'm talking about these icons
xfce new adwaita style icons

Last edited by farmare (2024-02-15 20:47:24)

"the smarter you are the dumber you are" -someone, probably from TV

#2 2024-02-15 16:53:26

ToZ
Administrator

Re: [SOLVED]how to change xfce new adwaita icon from 4.16+

Hello and welcome.

farmare wrote:

is there a way to change these new adwaita style icons from 4.16 and later?

What do you mean by change them?

i'm using flexicons-blue and those new icons do not match, i don't want to use another icon theme like elementary-xfce which do support these new xfce icons but i just don't like elementary icon theme,

Do you want to use different versions (or custom) icons for these applications in your flexicons theme? Or do you want to rename the icons in the the flexicon theme to match the new rDNS names of the icons? If so, just rename (or link) the flexicon name of the icon to the new xfce icon name (see: https://wiki.xfce.org/releng/4.16/icons … _for_icons) and rebuild the flexicon cache:

gtk-update-icon-cache -f /path/to/flexicons

...(you'll need to use sudo of the icons are in a protected area.

i tried to use both flexicons and elementary but i ended up breaking them both and fixing the icons themes.

What did you do and how was it broken?

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

#3 2024-02-15 19:04:48

farmare

Re: [SOLVED]how to change xfce new adwaita icon from 4.16+

ToZ wrote:

Do you want to use different versions (or custom) icons for these applications in your flexicons theme? Or do you want to rename the icons in the the flexicon theme to match the new rDNS names of the icons? If so, just rename (or link) the flexicon name of the icon to the new xfce icon name

yes, that's exactly what i want to do. thank you.

ToZ wrote:

What did you do and how was it broken?

that's not nessacary but i'll tell you anyway, i edited the inherits line flexicons index theme and added "elementary-xfce" and then i deleted the "panel" folder in elementary so it can't override the panel status icons it was perfect but a bit later some icons used adwaita icons instead of flexicons so i went to edit the index theme again but i just made it worse, and yes, i rebuilt the flexicons cache and nothing changed

edit: while renaming the icons i got an idea to edit flexicons-common instead editing the colored one (i'm using flexicons-blue) and it worked!

Last edited by farmare (2024-02-15 20:46:35)

"the smarter you are the dumber you are" -someone, probably from TV

Board footer