Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2024-03-26 16:24:12

ITwrx
Website

kicked off xfce opencollective on purpose?

I had a small recurring donation going to xfce using opencollective.org and a while back it got cancelled. The message said it was cancelled by xfce. Was this on purpose? I was going to set it up again, but I wouldn't want to force anyone to take my money who doesn't want it. smile

thanks

#2 2024-03-26 18:31:22

Tamaranch

Re: kicked off xfce opencollective on purpose?

Apparently it shouldn't do that (I asked on matrix, I'm not directly involved in this), however we have paused donations (a message should appear on opencollective), as we're not sure what to do with the money smile (we have no expenses and don't want to pay ourselves)
So you can stop donating, but thanks for the donations so far!

#3 2024-03-26 19:32:07

CwF

Tamaranch wrote:

..., however we have paused donations (a message should appear on opencollective), as we're not sure what to do with the money smile (we have no expenses and don't want to pay ourselves)

Save it for 3rd party bounty?

#4 2024-03-26 19:36:00

Tamaranch

This was discussed on IRC/matrix or on the mailing list at one time, but if I remember correctly opencollective no longer allows you to do this. But yes, it could be a possibility.

#5 2024-03-27 16:58:24

ITwrx
Website

Tamaranch wrote:

Apparently it shouldn't do that (I asked on matrix, I'm not directly involved in this), however we have paused donations (a message should appear on opencollective), as we're not sure what to do with the money smile (we have no expenses and don't want to pay ourselves)

Ok, thanks for the response. Users want to crowdfund increased development, not just pay for expenses. It would be nice if projects, or the greater ecosystem, could find a way to facilitate this. I hope XFCE can find a way to spend the money it already received, preferably to facilitate development in some way, at least before it is all stolen by inflation.

#6 2024-03-28 04:20:07

ITwrx
Website

and i would be curious to hear if there is anything the project has identified IRT software/features that might help facilitate funding FOSS/XFCE development. It's something i've been thinking about/watching over the years like many of us.

#7 2024-03-28 08:39:46

Tamaranch

No idea, sorry. I can't even really tell you where you'd be more likely to find answers on this subject regarding Xfce. I'm afraid there really aren't any.

#8 2024-03-28 16:10:37

mint4all

ITwrx wrote:

and i would be curious to hear if there is anything the project has identified IRT software/features that might help facilitate funding FOSS/XFCE development. It's something i've been thinking about/watching over the years like many of us.

Greetings to y'all!

It is a conundrum, agreed. Because I am depending on this rock-solid DE as my daily driver (including my small community group of friends and family) I too feel awkward not contributing in a material way to XFCE's development. But one can "pay-it-forward" by contributing to linux-distros like Mint or MX. Either distro does a superb job with XFCE, especially MX because it still provides very stable 32-bit versions which I desperately need for my group's older systems (2006-2015 vintage).

Cheers, m4a

Linux Mint 21.2 -- xfce 4.18 ... Apple iMAC -- Dell & HP Desktops and Laptops -- Family & Community Support

#9 2024-03-29 09:57:23

vm_x

Well, I'm definitely happy XFCE has too much money, it's a much better position than not having enough money. smile

#10 2024-04-11 21:53:51

djordy

Tamaranch wrote:

Organize an xfce community bbq tongue.

Board footer