Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2024-04-22 19:32:07

Augie77

Where to adjust environment path for power manager install

Trying to update the xfce4-power-manager to 4.19 and the below error occurred.  The libnotify package is installed and of he correct version, however, the installer can not find it.

I see the recommendation to alter the config path, but have no clue what file to do this in, or how to do it and not break anything else in the p-m package. Appreciate any suggestions on this.

Thanks

*** The required package libnotify was not found on your system.
*** Please install libnotify (atleast version 0.4.1) or adjust
*** the PKG_CONFIG_PATH environment variable if you
*** installed the package in a nonstandard prefix so that
*** pkg-config is able to find it.

root@augie:/home/augie/xfce4-power-manager-4.19.2# dpkg -l 'libnotify*'
Desired=Unknown/Install/Remove/Purge/Hold
| Status=Not/Inst/Conf-files/Unpacked/halF-conf/Half-inst/trig-aWait/Trig-pend
|/ Err?=(none)/Reinst-required (Status,Err: uppercase=bad)
||/ Name             Version      Architecture Description
+++-================-============-============-================================================================
ii  libnotify-bin    0.8.1-1      amd64        sends desktop notifications to a notification daemon (Utilities)
ii  libnotify4:amd64 0.8.1-1      amd64        sends desktop notifications to a notification daemon

#2 2024-04-22 21:21:18

ToZ
Administrator

Re: Where to adjust environment path for power manager install

Debian-based distros tend to separate development packages from binary packages. Look for a libnotify-dev package and install that.

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

#3 2024-04-22 22:56:11

CwF

#4 2024-04-24 11:51:20

Augie77

Thank you ToZ and CwF for the information.  For an old guy, I am finding this Xfce fun to learn about, but I am still breaking it. The best piece of advice I ever got about Linux was to use Timeshift for backup. To that I added Foxclone and Homi, thus, it is easy to play and break without out any bad, lasting repercussions.

I am still reading about Xfce and need to learn more about the order to build and install the modules in. I have been reading the Start documents to better understand.  I attempted to build and install the xfce4-session-4.19.2 module and had a handful of deprecations, this is one of them.

CC       libxfsm_la-xfsm-util.lo
xfsm-util.c: In function 'xfsm_start_application':
xfsm-util.c:78:42: warning: 'gdk_screen_get_number' is deprecated [-Wdeprecated-declarations]
   78 |                                          gdk_screen_get_number (screen));
      |                                          ^~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
In file included from /usr/include/gtk-3.0/gdk/gdkapplaunchcontext.h:31,
                 from /usr/include/gtk-3.0/gdk/gdk.h:32,
                 from /usr/include/gtk-3.0/gtk/gtk.h:30,
                 from ../libxfsm/xfsm-util.h:27,
                 from xfsm-util.c:38:

It may be that 4.19 is just not going to work in Bookworm without a lot of manipulation and I will need to wait for Xfce and Debian to prepare it, I read that 4.19, with 19 bing odd, this is a release that is not ready for prime time. Patience is in order I suppose.  smile

#5 2024-04-24 12:50:34

eriefisher

Much of the 4.19 version is available in the debian experimental repo. These are .debs but have to be specifically installed through apt. I have not tried to do it myself yet but they are there.

Siduction
Debian Sid
Xfce 4.18

#6 2024-04-24 13:38:29

Augie77

eriefisher wrote:

Much of the 4.19 version is available in the debian experimental repo. These are .debs but have to be specifically installed through apt. I have not tried to do it myself yet but they are there.

Thank you, I had no idea about the experimental repo. I did a quick search and found the Debian Experimental page, and will read it.

Board footer