Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2024-04-23 21:08:24

chw9999

Short press Super key starts Task Manager

Using xfce, since recently every time I press the left Super key*) about less than a second xfce4-taskmanager is started, regardless of the program running frontmost. If I long press the key nothing happens. I can use Super in combination with other keys defined in Keyboard Settings->Application shortcuts quite well, timing is no issue here. xfce4-taskmanager is also bound there to CTRL-ESC.

I myself might have introduced the "feature", but I would not know when, and if I did it, it was unintentionally.

Anybody any idea how to remove this? It's only slightly annoying, but anyway.

Thanks!

*) Laptop Keyboard ASUS Vivobook with only one Super key.
System: Xubuntu 22.04.4
xfce4-panel 4.16.3 (Xfce 4.16)

#2 2024-04-23 22:06:29

Tamaranch

Re: Short press Super key starts Task Manager

What is the output of

xfconf-query -c xfce4-keyboard-shortcuts -lv | grep xfce4-taskmanager

#3 2024-04-24 20:09:29

chw9999

Thanks for helping. Since the task manager was accidentally up again, I looked up all the tasks running, and terminating tasks here and there found xcape to be culprit running as "xcape -e Super_L Control_L Escape".
xcape is not in my startup commands, not mentioned in any file under .config or .local, it's not mentioned in my root .bash_history, so i don't know how, where and why it was activated. However, it's gone now, uninstalled.

To complete your request:

c@ASUS-Laptop:~$ xfconf-query -c xfce4-keyboard-shortcuts -lv | grep xfce4-taskmanager
/commands/custom/<Primary>Escape                 xfce4-taskmanager
/commands/default/<Primary><Shift>Escape         xfce4-taskmanager
c@ASUS-Laptop:~$ 

But as said, removing xcape healed it.

#4 2024-04-24 20:52:57

Tamaranch

Ah well, that probably explains this behavior where only a short press on the shortcut triggers the app. But I still wanted to check that nothing was lying around in the xfce shortcuts, just in case.

Board footer