Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2024-04-24 21:52:54

tipom

Move ~/.config/xfce4 ?

Context : XFCE4 4.12.
RHEL7

By modifying the environment variables, it is possible to eliminate the need for a directory ~/.config/xfce4 to launch XFCE4 desktop ?
I want all users to share the same environment and not be able to modify their configuration.

#2 2024-04-24 22:15:47

ToZ
Administrator

Re: Move ~/.config/xfce4 ?

tipom wrote:

By modifying the environment variables, it is possible to eliminate the need for a directory ~/.config/xfce4 to launch XFCE4 desktop ?

Xfce leverages the XDG base directory spec, and as such, uses $XDG_CONFIG_DIR to specify the location of the base configuration directory.

I want all users to share the same environment and not be able to modify their configuration.

In that case, why not just use one user account?

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

#3 2024-04-25 06:52:47

tipom

tipom wrote:

Xfce leverages the XDG base directory spec, and as such, uses $XDG_CONFIG_DIR to specify the location of the base configuration directory.

what is the best solution/place to setting variables as XDG_CONFIG_DIRS?
I already tested this at the beginning of the startxfce4 script (/usr/bin/). But at the start of the session, the program continued to create the ~/.config/xfce4 directory and store information in this forlder.

Last edited by tipom (2024-04-25 06:53:26)

#4 2024-04-25 12:22:55

ToZ
Administrator

My apologies, it should be $XDG_CONFIG_HOME - it points to ~/.config by default.

However, if you update the startxfce4 executable you will run the risk of losing your change if Xfce is every updated, as the package manager will update that file.

The best bet would be to create a system-wide $XDG_CONFIG_HOME environment variable - not sure where you would do this with rehat. Maybe the /etc/environment file?

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

Board footer