Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2024-05-02 12:23:15

ministry

xfce4-notifyd randomly stops receiving notifications

Hello
I'm using the Notifyd plugin on Xfce 4.14
Basically, it randomly stops to show notifications; it seems they are completely ignored and they don't show up in the logs as well.
I only notice them when I try to open the respective application (e.g., Teams); but simply opening the gui makes it work again.
This is a very erratic behaviour: sometimes it happens several times in a few hours, other times it runs fine for days.

Last edited by ministry (2024-05-02 13:37:09)

#2 2024-05-02 21:48:43

ToZ
Administrator

Re: xfce4-notifyd randomly stops receiving notifications

ministry wrote:

I'm using the Notifyd plugin on Xfce 4.14

Hello and welcome. This is an old version of Xfce. What distro are you runnign this on? Any chance you can upgrade to a newer version of Xfce?

If not, have a look at your log files, maybe ~/.xsession-errors, to see if any error messages are displayed.

Does this look like the issue? https://gitlab.xfce.org/apps/xfce4-notifyd/-/issues/90

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

#3 2024-05-03 10:20:40

ministry

Hello.
Thanks for your reply.
I'm running Ubuntu 20.04, on which I installed Xfce4. I know it's an old version but, since it's my working notebook and it's a minor bug, I'd rather to not update the system if not necessary.

I started using the notify plugin only a few weeks ago, after upgrading Teams, since the last release doesn't show popups on new messages (it's a known bug and the suggestion is to use the notify plugin)

I read the thread you suggested, but my problem is a bit different: the notifications are simply ignored; there is no bubble popup, there is no record in the gui or in .cache/xfce4/notifyd/log file

I don't see any useful message in the ~/.xsession-errors logfile

#4 2024-05-03 16:09:09

ToZ
Administrator

In all likelihood, the issue has been resolved with a more recent version. You are more than welcome to create a bug report, but even it was found to be a bug and fixed, it probably won't be backported to 4.14.

Are you able to build the newer version from source? Basic instructions:
- uninstall current version
- grab source from https://archive.xfce.org/src/apps/xfce4-notifyd/0.9/
- Here is ubuntu's configure command (search for "--prefix")
- run make the sudo make install

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

Board footer