Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2024-05-02 00:03:29

kfank

Copy Terminal Text

I'm not sure if the terminal app is part of XFCE or not.  If not, perhaps someone can direct me to where a bug report should be submitted.

The problem I have is that I use the terminal to log into a system and monitor its log messages using a logging app.  If I want to copy all the text from that window I do Ctrl-Shift-A to select all the text and then Ctrl-Shift-C to copy it to the clipboard.  Now, if when the text is selected, but before I enter Ctrl-Shift-C, additional text is sent to the terminal (e.g., another log message) then all the text becomes deselected.  Then if you enter Ctrl-Shift-C it becomes the same as Ctrl-C, which kills my monitor app that was running in the terminal.  So the bug (IMHO) is that Ctrl-Shift-C behaves differently depending on whether text is selected or not.  If no text is selected then I believe Ctrl-Shift-C should probably just clear the clipboard (or at least do nothing).  It should certainly not send a Ctrl-C to the terminal.

I probably could avoid this if I did a Ctrl-S first to stop any characters coming to the terminal before trying to capture the text, but I generally don't think about this option if the text is not updating very often.  And then you have to remember to Ctrl-Q to activate the terminal again.

#2 2024-05-02 00:21:36

ToZ
Administrator

Re: Copy Terminal Text

kfank wrote:

I'm not sure if the terminal app is part of XFCE or not.

xfce4-terminal is an Xfce app. Is this the one you are using and what version is it? (Help > About).

The problem I have is that I use the terminal to log into a system and monitor its log messages using a logging app.  If I want to copy all the text from that window I do Ctrl-Shift-A to select all the text and then Ctrl-Shift-C to copy it to the clipboard.  Now, if when the text is selected, but before I enter Ctrl-Shift-C, additional text is sent to the terminal (e.g., another log message) then all the text becomes deselected.  Then if you enter Ctrl-Shift-C it becomes the same as Ctrl-C, which kills my monitor app that was running in the terminal.  So the bug (IMHO) is that Ctrl-Shift-C behaves differently depending on whether text is selected or not.  If no text is selected then I believe Ctrl-Shift-C should probably just clear the clipboard (or at least do nothing).  It should certainly not send a Ctrl-C to the terminal.

I can't replicate this with xfce4-terminal 1.1.3. What version is yours?

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

#3 2024-05-04 01:52:15

kfank

Re: Copy Terminal Text

I have 0.8.10 which was included with Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS.  It looks like that's the latest version available from the package repository.  I'm kind of leary about trying to manually install an update.  If I mess it up I may lose control of the machine.

Board footer