Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2024-05-05 14:09:07

Tabespe

Fonts: How to use an (italic or) narrow font

Hello

In Xfce settings->appearances->tab fonts  I can choose the default font.

In the the list with the fonts I can choose for example the regular font, but also for example the italic version of the same font. Here is an example for the font "Caladea":
https://imgur.com/a/Ni5o0FM

I do not want to use Caladea. This is only an example. I have the same question for all Fonts.

When I choose for example Caladea italic, then it shows me a preview-line (a sentence) with this font in the same window.
In this preview it really shows me the italic version of the font, if I choose an italic font. But when I then press the "select" button (apply), then in the system (thunar, Xfce settings, Whisker menu etc.) it still shows me the "regular" variant of the font.

Question 1:
If I only can use the regular version of a font, why does the list of the window "select a default font" contain all variants of each font? If I only can choose the regular variant of a font, then I would expect, that this window only shows me the regular variant of each font.

Question 2: What I really want:
I have a font of which I have 8 files in the folder "/usr/share/fonts/truetype/":
– regular
– italic
– bold
– italic bold
– narrow
– narrow italic
– narrow bold
– narrow italic bold

(This is one font with 8 versions of the same font.)

I would like to have the narrow variant of this font in my system. But no matter what I choose, the system always uses the regular font.

But what I want is to use the narrow font.

Is there a workaround, so that my system takes the narrow variation of this font?
Something like changing the name of the font file?
Or any name in the font file?
Or any property in the font file?

Would appreciate some reply.
Thank you.

Last edited by Tabespe (2024-05-05 14:11:55)

#2 2024-05-05 19:22:57

ToZ
Administrator

Re: Fonts: How to use an (italic or) narrow font

I think you are seeing this issue.

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

#3 2024-05-08 07:18:07

Tabespe

Re: Fonts: How to use an (italic or) narrow font

Thank you for the link.

Board footer