Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2016-02-29 04:19:38

paul1149

Include file name in Desktop icon hover balloon

Hi guys,

Is it possible to include the file name in the hover tooltip of the desktop icons? Currently I get nice info such as Type, Size, and Last Modified, but the actual file name is absent. I'm on Linux Lite 2.8 x64, which is a ubuntu derivative.

Thanks much!

MX19 Linux (debian buster) x64; Xfce 4.14.1; C2D; 2.8ghz; 6GB RAM; SSD.

#2 2016-02-29 11:20:25

ToZ
Administrator

Re: Include file name in Desktop icon hover balloon

Hello and welcome.

Unfortunately, it is not possible. The code is programmed to display the Type, Size, Last Modified and Comment (if .desktop file is used). See lines 758-831.

Out of curiosity, why would you want this if the file name is displayed as the icon text?

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

#3 2016-02-29 11:31:44

paul1149

Thank you, ToZ. Interesting to see the source code!

I would find it useful because very often the full file name is not displayed due to length of the name. And fairly often I have several versions of files, with the difference between them toward the end of the name, so the only effective way to deal with them is to view them first in the file explorer, Thunar.

#4 2016-02-29 11:44:34

ToZ
Administrator

If it helps, you can spread out the icons and show all of the text, regardless of the length of the filename, by using a GTK override like this:

style "my-xfdesktop-icon-view" 
{
        XfdesktopIconView::ellipsize-icon-labels = 0
        XfdesktopIconView::cell-spacing = 2
        XfdesktopIconView::cell-padding = 2
        XfdesktopIconView::cell-text-width-proportion = 3.1
}
widget_class "*XfdesktopIconView*" style "my-xfdesktop-icon-view"

Put the snippet in the ~/.gtkrc-2.0 file and change your Appearance theme away and back again (or log out and in again) for it to take effect.

You can tweak the "cell-spacing", "cell-padding" and "cell-text-width-proportion" values in that snippet to finely tune the layout.

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

#5 2016-02-29 11:49:45

paul1149

Thanks, but that's probably deeper than I want to go, and I don't want to mess up the desktop's appearance. I'm just an advanced end user and don't want to change things too much. Appreciate the feedback much, though. It gives me an idea what is going on under the hood. I'm about half a year into Linux as my main system and it's been great.

BW,
Paul

Board footer