Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2016-03-13 10:13:58

kevjonesin
Website

May one adjust app icon menu location when using autohiding panel?

On an xfce desktop when invoked from a bottom panel with a right or left click on a button icon (in systray, app launchers, etc.) many of the menus manifest overlapping the panel rather than just adjacent above the panel as in a fixed always visible panel configuration. In many cases this results in a 'quit' option at the bottom of the option menu manifesting directly under the mouse pointer. If an extra click (or a click-hold-release) passes through one can easily end up inadvertently closing a running application that was docked in the systray when intending to access other options.
xfceiconmenuscreenshots.png
[Linked image shows screenshots of both for comparison with 'autohide' set (top half) and with persistently visible panel (bottom half); while 'onboard' was used as an example, the the same behavior occurs with many, but not all, other icons in panel as well.]

A question arises as to how much of the behavior arises from how individual apps are setup versus how xfce panel is handling them and how the xfce4 panel might be tweaked in future updates to compensate (should this perhaps be filed as a bug somewhere?).

For now, does anyone know an available configuration or workaround to get  the option menus to consistently pop-up just above an invoked autohiding panel like they do for one set always visible?

Last edited by kevjonesin (2016-03-13 16:59:33)

#2 2016-03-14 19:47:00

ToZ
Administrator

Re: May one adjust app icon menu location when using autohiding panel?

Hello and welcome.

I see the same behaviour when I set my panels to autohide. Looks like it affects the GTK3-based indicators more than the GTK2 ones. Probably best to create a bug report.

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

#3 2016-03-17 08:15:19

kevjonesin
Website

Hi ToZ,

I went ahead and filed a bug report as suggested:
https://bugzilla.xfce.org/show_bug.cgi?id=12503

#4 2016-03-22 11:42:18

alcornoqui

btw
sim4qANl.png

#5 2016-03-22 12:54:32

ToZ
Administrator

Expired certificate. Should be resolved as soon as site maintainer employs updated certificate.

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

#6 2016-03-22 13:21:23

alcornoqui

I see, thanks.

Board footer